09B .0209 - CRIMINAL JUSTICE INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
09B .0209. CRIMINAL JUSTICE INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
(a) The Instructor Training course required for General Instructor certification shall consist of a minimum of 40 hours of classroom instruction, plus the time required to conduct practical exercises, student presentations, and post testing presented during a period of no more than 15 business days.
(b) Each Instructor Training course shall be designed to provide the trainee with the skills and knowledge to perform the functions of a criminal justice instructor.
(c) Each Instructor Training course shall include the following identified topic areas and minimum instructional hours for each area:
(1) Orientation and Pre-Test 1 Hour
(2) Instructional Systems Design (ISD) 5 Hours
(3) Law Enforcement Instructor Liabilities and Legal Responsibilities 2 Hours
(4) Criminal Justice Instructional Leadership 4 Hours
(5) Lesson Plan Preparation: Professional Resources 2 Hours
(6) Lesson Plan Development and Formatting 3 Hours
(7) Adult Learning 2 Hours
(8) Instructional Styles and Platform Skills 5 Hours
(9) Classroom Management 3 Hours
(10) Active Learning: Demonstration and Practical Exercises 3 Hours
(11) The Evaluation Process of Learning 4 Hours
(12) Audio Visual Aids 5 Hours
(13) Course Closing and Post-test 1 Hour
(14) Completion of tasks associated with practical exercises, student presentations, and post testing; the number of hours required to complete this portion of the curriculum shall be based on the number of enrolled students, available facilities, and number of instructors.
(d) The "Instructor Training" manual published by the North Carolina Justice Academy shall be the curriculum for instructor training courses. Copies of this publication may be inspected at the agency:
Criminal Justice Standards Division
North Carolina Department of Justice
1700 Tryon Park Drive
Post Office Drawer 149
Raleigh, North Carolina 27602 and may be purchased at the cost of printing and postage from the Academy at the following address:
North Carolina Justice Academy
Post Office Drawer 99
Salemburg, North Carolina 28385(Authority G.S. 17C-6; Eff. January 1, 1981; Amended Eff. December 1, 2009; August 1, 2005; November 1, 1998; January 1, 1995; March 1, 1990; July 1, 1989; January 1, 1985. Amended by North Carolina Register Volume 29, Issue 11, December 1, 2014 effective January 1, 2015. Amended by North Carolina Register Volume 32, Issue 09, November 1, 2017 effective January 1, 2018. Amended by North Carolina Register Volume 32, Issue 21, May 1, 2018 effective April 1, 2018. Amended by North Carolina Register Volume 33, Issue 03, August 01, 2018 effective July 1, 2018. Amended by North Carolina Register Volume 35, Issue 09, November 2, 2020 effective January 1, 2021. Amended by North Carolina Register Volume 35, Issue 23, June 1, 2021 effective July 1, 2021.)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.