09G .0102 - DEFINITIONS
09G .0102. DEFINITIONS
The following definitions apply throughout this Subchapter only:
(1) "Commission of an offense" means a finding by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission or an administrative body that a person performed the acts necessary to satisfy the elements of a specified offense.
(2) "Convicted" or "Conviction" means, the entry of:
(a) a plea of guilty;
(b) a verdict or finding of guilt by a jury, judge, magistrate, or other duly constituted, established adjudicating body, tribunal, or official, either civilian or military; or
(c) a plea of no contest, nolo contendere, or the equivalent.
(3) "Correctional Officer" means an employee of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice, responsible for the custody of inmates or offenders.
(4) "Corrections Officer" means either or both of the two classes of officers employed by the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice: correctional officer or probation/parole officer.
(5) "Criminal Justice System" means the whole of the State and local criminal justice agencies including the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice.
(6) "Director" means the Director of the Criminal Justice Standards Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice.
(7) "Educational Points" means points earned toward the State Correction Officers' Professional Certificate Program for studies completed, with passing scores achieved, for semester hour or quarter hour credit at a regionally accredited institution of higher education. Each semester hour of college credit equals one educational point and each quarter hour of college credit equals two-thirds of an educational point.
(8) "High School" means a high school that meets the compulsory attendance requirements in the jurisdiction in which the school is located.
(9) "In-Service Training Coordinator" means a person designated by a Criminal Justice Agency head to administer the agency's In-Service Training program.
(10) "Misdemeanor" for corrections officers means those criminal offenses not classified under the laws, statutes, or ordinances as felonies. Misdemeanor offenses for corrections officers are classified by the Commission as the following as set forth in G.S. or other state or federal law:
(a) 14-2.5 Punishment for attempt (offenses that are Class A-1 misdemeanor)
(b) 14-32.1(f) Simple Assault on handicapped persons
(c) 14-33(b)(9) Assault, battery against sports official
(d) 14-33(c) Assault, battery with circumstances
(e) 14-34 Assault by pointing a gun
(f) 14-72 Larceny of property; receiving stolen goods etc.; not more than one thousand dollars ($1000.00)(14-72(a))
(g) 14-72.1 Concealment of merchandise (14-72.1(e); third or subsequent offense)
(h) 14-76 Larceny, mutilation, or destruction of public records/papers
(i) CH 14 Art. 19A False/fraudulent use of credit device (14-113.6)
(j) CH 14 Art. 19B Financial transaction card crime
(k) 14-114(a) Fraudulent disposal of personal property on which there is a security interest
(l) 14-118 Blackmailing
(m) 14-118.2 Obtaining academic credit by fraudulent means (14-118.2(b))
(n) 14-122.1 Falsifying documents issued by a school (14-122.1(c))
(o) 14-127 Willful and wanton injury to real property
(p) 14-160 Willful and wanton injury to personal property greater than two hundred dollars ($200.00)(14-160(b))
(q) 14-190.5 Preparation of obscene photographs
(r) 14-190.9 Indecent Exposure
(s) 14-190.14 Displaying material harmful to minors (14-190.14(b))
(t) 14-190.15 Disseminating harmful material to minors (14-190.15(d))
(u) 14-202.2 Indecent liberties between children
(v) 14-204 Prostitution
(w) 14-223 Resisting officers
(x) 14-225(a) False, etc., reports to law enforcement agencies or officers
(y) 14-230 Willfully failing to discharge duties
(z) 14-231 Failing to make reports and discharge other duties
(aa) 14-232 Swearing falsely to official records
(bb) 14-239 Allowing prisoners to escape; punishment
(cc) 14-255 Escape of working prisoners from custody
(dd) 14-256 Prison breach and escape
(ee) 14-258.1(b) Furnishing certain contraband to inmates
(ff) 14-259 Harboring or aiding certain persons; misdemeanants
(gg) CH 14 Art. 34 Persuading inmates to escape; harboring fugitives (14-268)
(hh) 14-269.2 Weapons on campus or other educational property (14-269.2(d), (e) and (f))
(ii) 14-269.3(a) Weapons where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed
(jj) 14-269.4 Weapons on state property and in courthouses
(kk) 14-269.6 Possession and sale of spring-loaded projectile knives prohibited (14-269.6(b))
(ll) 14-277 Impersonation of a law-enforcement or other public officer verbally, by displaying a badge or insignia, or by operating a red light (14-277 (d1) and (e))
(mm) 14-277.2(a) Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited
(nn) 14-277.3A Stalking
(oo) 14-288.2(b) Riot
(pp) 14-288.2(d) Inciting to riot
(qq) 14-288.6(a) Looting; trespassing during emergency
(rr) 14-315(a) Selling or giving weapons to minors
(ss) 14-315.1 Storage of firearms to protect minors
(tt) 14-316.1 Contributing to delinquency
(uu) 14-318.2 Child abuse
(vv) 14-360(a) Cruelty to animals
(ww) 14-361 Instigating or promoting cruelty to animals
(xx) 14-401.14 Ethnic intimidation; teaching any technique to be used for
(yy) 14-454(a) or (b) Accessing computers less than $1000 in damges
(zz) 14-458 Computer trespass (Damage less than two thousand five hundred dollars) ($2500.00)
(aaa) 15A-287 Interception and disclosure of wire etc. communications
(bbb) 15B-7(b) Filing false or fraudulent application for compensation award
(ccc) 18B-902(c) False statements in application for ABC permit (18B-102(b))
(ddd) 20-37.8(a) & (c) Fraudulent use of a fictitious name for a special identification card
(eee) 20-102.1 False report of theft or conversion of a motor vehicle
(fff) 20-111(5) Fictitious name or address in application for registration
(ggg) 20-130.1 Use of red or blue lights on vehicles prohibited (20-130.1(e))
(hhh) 20-137.2 Operation of vehicles resembling law-enforcement vehicles (20-137.2(b))
(iii) 20-138.1 Driving while impaired (punishment level 1 (20-179(g)) or 2 (20-179(h))
(jjj) 20-138.2(e) Impaired driving in commercial vehicle
(kkk) 20-141.5(a) Speeding to elude arrest
(lll) 20-166(b) Duty to stop in event of accident or collision
(mmm) 20-166(c) Duty to stop in event of accident or collision
(nnn) 20-166(c1) Duty to stop in event of accident or collision
(ooo) 50B-4.1(a) Knowingly violating valid protective order
(ppp) 58-33-105 False statement in applications for insurance
(qqq) 58-81-5 Careless or negligent setting of fires
(rrr) 14-111.4 Misuse of 911 system
(sss) 90-95(d)(2) Possession of schedule II, III, IV
(ttt) 90-95(d)(3) Possession of Schedule V
(uuu) 90-95(d)(4) Possession of Schedule VI (when punishable as Class 1 misdemeanor)
(vvv) 90-95(e)(4) Conviction of 2 or more violations of Art. 5
(www) 90-95(e)(7) Conviction of 2 or more violations of Art. 5
(xxx) 90-113.22 Possession of drug paraphernalia (90-113.22(b))
(yyy) 90-113.23 Manufacture or delivery of drug paraphernalia (90-113.23(c))
(zzz) 97-88.2(a) Misrepresentation to get worker's compensation payment less than four hundred dollars ($400.00)
(aaaa) 108A-39(a) Fraudulent misrepresentation of public assistance
(bbbb) 108A-53 Fraudulent misrepresentation of electronic food and nutrition benefits
(cccc) 108A-64 Medical assistance recipient fraud; less than four hundred dollars ($400.00)(108-64(c)(2))
(dddd) 108A-80 Recipient check register/list of all recipients of AFDC and state-county special assistance (108A-80(b))
(eeee) 108A-80 Recipient check register/ list of all recipients of AFDC and state-county special assistance; political mailing list (108A-80(c))
(ffff) 113-290.1(a)(2) Criminally negligent hunting; no bodily disfigurement
(gggg) 113-290.1(a)(3) Criminally negligent hunting; bodily disfigurement
(hhhh) 113-290.1(a)(4) Criminally negligent hunting; death results
(iiii) 113-290.1(d) Criminally negligent hunting; person convicted/suspended license
(jjjj) 143-58.1(a) Use of public purchase or contract for private benefit (143-58.1(c))
(kkkk) 148-45(d) Aiding escape or attempted escape from prison
(llll) 162-55 Injury to prisoner by jailer
(mmmm) Common-Law misdemeanors:
(i) Going Armed to the Terror of the People
(ii) Common-Law Mayhem
(iii) False Imprisonment
(iv) Common-Law Robbery
(v) Common-Law Forgery
(vi) Common-Law Uttering of Forged paper
(vii) Forcible Trespass
(viii) Unlawful Assembly
(ix) Common-Law Obstruction of Justice
(nnnn) Those offenses occurring in other jurisdictions that are comparable to the offenses specifically listed in (a) through (rrrr) of this Rule.
(oooo) Any offense proscribed by 18 U.S.C. 922 (1996), (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/pdf/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.pdf), that would prohibit possessing a firearm or ammunition.
(11) "Pilot Courses" means those courses approved by the Education and Training Committee, consistent with 12 NCAC 09G .0404, which are used to develop new training course curricula.
(12) "Probation/Parole Officer" means an employee of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice, whose duties include supervising, evaluating, or otherwise instructing offenders placed on probation, parole, post release supervision, or assigned to any other community-based program operated by the Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice.
(13) "Qualified Assistant" means an additional staff person designated as such by the School Director to assist in the administration of a course when a certified institution or agency assigns additional responsibilities to the certified School Director during the planning, development, and implementation of a certified course.
(14) "School" means an institution, college, university, academy, or agency that offers penal or corrections training for correctional officers or probation/parole officers. "School" includes the corrections training course curricula, instructors, and facilities.
(15) "School Director" means the person designated by the Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice to administer the School.
(16) "Standards Division" means the Criminal Justice Standards Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice.
(17) "State Corrections Training Points" means points earned toward the State Corrections Officers' Professional Certificate Program by completion of Commission-approved corrections training courses. Twenty classroom hours of Commission-approved corrections training equals one State Corrections training point.(Authority G.S. 17C-2; 17C-6; 17C-10; 153A-217; Temporary Adoption Eff. January 1, 2001; Eff. August 1, 2002; Amended Eff. April 1, 2009; August 1, 2004. Amended by North Carolina Register Volume 29, Issue 15, February 2, 2015 effective January 1, 2015. Amended by North Carolina Register Volume 31, Issue 15, February 1, 2017 effective January 1, 2017. Amended by North Carolina Register Volume 33, Issue 13, January 2, 2019 effective December 1, 2018.)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.