Ohio Admin. Code 1301:7-7-65 - Pyroxylin (cellulose nitrate) plastics
Current through all regulations passed and filed through September 3, 2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3737.22, 3737.82, 3737.83
Rule Amplifies: 3737.22, 3737.82, 3737.83
Prior Effective Dates: 07/01/1979, 06/01/1985, 06/15/1992, 07/01/1993, 09/01/1995, 03/30/1998, 09/01/2005, 07/01/2007, 11/01/2011
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
§ 1301:7-7-65. Pyroxylin (cellulose nitrate) plastics
(A) Section 6501 General
(1) 6501.1 Scope. This rule shall apply to the storage and handling of plastic substances, materials or compounds with cellulose nitrate as a base, by whatever name known, in the form of blocks, sheets, tubes or fabricated shapes.
Cellulose nitrate motion picture film shall comply with the requirements of paragraph (F)(306) of rule 1301:7-7-03 of the Administrative Code.
(2) 6501.2 Permits. Permits shall be required as set forth in rule 1301:7-7-01 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Section 6502 Definitions
(1) 6502.1 Terms defined in rule 1301:7-7-02 of the Administrative Code. Words and terms used in this rule and defined in rule 1301:7-7-02 of the Administrative Code shall have the meanings ascribed to them as defined therein.
(C) Section 6503 General requirements
(1) 6503.1 Displays. Cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastic articles are allowed to be placed on tables not more than 3 feet (914 mm) wide and 10 feet (3048 mm) long. Tables shall be spaced at least 3 feet (914 mm) apart. Where articles are displayed on counters, they shall be arranged in a like manner.
(2) 6503.2 Space under tables. Spaces underneath tables shall be kept free from storage of any kind and accumulation of paper, refuse and other combustible material.
(3) 6503.3 Location. Sales or display tables shall be so located that in the event of a fire at the table, the table will not interfere with free means of egress from the room in not less than one direction.
(4) 6503.4 Lighting. Lighting shall not be located directly above cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastic material, unless provided with a suitable guard to prevent heated particles from falling.
(D) Section 6504 Storage and handling
(1) 6504.1 Raw material. Raw cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastic material in a Group F building shall be stored and handled in accordance with paragraphs (D)(1)(a)(6504.1.1) to (D)(1)(g)(6504.1.7) of this rule.
(a) 6504.1.1 Storage of incoming material. Where raw material in excess of 25 pounds (11 kg) is received in a building or fire area, an approved vented cabinet or approved vented vault equipped with an approved automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for the storage of material.
(b) 6504.1.2 Capacity limitations. Cabinets in any one workroom shall not contain more than 1,000 pounds (454 kg) of raw material. Each cabinet shall not contain more than 500 pounds (227 kg). Each compartment shall not contain more than 250 pounds (114 kg).
(c) 6504.1.3 Storage of additional material. Raw material in excess of that allowed by paragraph (D)(1)(b)(6504.1.2) of this rule shall be kept in vented vaults not exceeding 1,500-cubic-foot capacity (43 m3) of total vault space, and with approved construction, venting and sprinkler protection.
(d) 6504.1.4 Heat sources. Cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastic shall not be stored within 2 feet (610 mm) of heat-producing appliances, steam pipes, radiators or chimneys.
(e) 6504.1.5 Accumulation of material. In factories manufacturing articles of cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastics, approved sprinklered and vented cabinets, vaults or storage rooms shall be provided to prevent the accumulation in workrooms of raw stock in process or finished articles.
(f) 6504.1.6 Operators. In workrooms of cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastic factories, operators shall not be stationed closer together than 3 feet (914 mm), and the amount of material per operator shall not exceed one shift's supply and shall be limited to the capacity of three tote boxes, including material awaiting removal or use.
(g) 6504.1.7 Waste material. Waste cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastic materials such as shavings, chips, turnings, sawdust, edgings and trimmings shall be kept under water in metal receptacles until removed from the premises.
(2) 6504.2 Fire protection. The manufacture or storage of articles of cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastic in quantities exceeding 100 pounds (45 kg) shall be located in a building or portion thereof equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with paragraph (C)(3)(a)(i)(903.3.1.1) of rule 1301:7-7-09 of the Administrative Code.
(3) 6504.3 Sources of ignition. Sources of ignition shall not be located in rooms in which cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastic in excess of 25 pounds (11 kg) is handled or stored.
(4) 6504.4 Heating. Rooms in which cellulose nitrate (pyroxylin) plastic is handled or stored shall be heated by low-pressure steam or hot water radiators.
Replaces: 1301:7-7-42.(Effective: 12/15/2017 Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 12/15/2022 Promulgated Under: 119.03 Statutory Authority: 3737.22, 3737.82, 3737.83 Rule Amplifies: 3737.22, 3737.82, 3737.83 Prior Effective Dates: 07/01/1979, 06/01/1985, 06/15/1992, 07/01/1993, 09/01/1995, 03/30/1998, 09/01/2005, 07/01/2007, 11/01/2011)