Ohio Admin. Code 3356-10-12 - Teaching by staff
Current through all regulations passed and filed through December 3, 2021
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3356
Rule Amplifies: 3356
Prior Effective Dates: Prior 11/4/77, 3/2/84, 2/27/85, 1/31/00, 6/16/03, 8/21/10, 1/22/12
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
§ 3356-10-12. Teaching by staff
(A) Policy statement. On occasion it is necessary and appropriate to have employees perform services above and beyond their normal scope of duties and to pay employees for these additional services.
(B) Definition. For purposes of this policy, a "staff member" is defined as any full-time employee who is not a member of the faculty bargaining unit.
(1) Assignment of a staff member to teach shall be based solely upon the academic needs of the university and the appropriateness of the individual's academic credentials.
(2) Staff members may not receive payment for any course taught during their paid work schedule. Staff members may teach only during the lunch hour, approved leave time, or at times other than their paid work schedule.
(3) Prior to the assignment, the staff member's supervisor shall certify in writing that any teaching assignment will not interfere with the staff member's regular responsibilities.
(4) Non-exempt staff members that complete a forty-hour workweek and engage in teaching activities in addition to, and outside of, the primary duty of their position will be paid 1.5 times the established teaching rate for part-time faculty instructors, as per Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requirements.
(5) A staff member may teach no more than one course per term (normally considered to be equivalent to three teaching hours) without approval of the provost/vice president for academic affairs.
(1) A staff member having appropriate academic credentials may request or be requested by an academic chairperson to teach in a department. Appropriate academic credentials must be documented.
(2) The credentials will be collected by the chair of the department for departmental review. The credentials must be forwarded to the dean and provost for certification following higher learning commission expectations. Staff desiring to teach a graduate level course must also have graduate faculty status. Once approval is granted, the staff member becomes eligible to teach in the department.
(3) A department chairperson wishing to have an eligible staff member teach a class will initiate the appropriate part-time teaching assignment agreement, secure written approval of the staff member's supervisor, and then forward the materials to the dean and provost for final approval.
Replaces: 3356-10-12(Effective: 5/21/2017 Promulgated Under: 111.15 Statutory Authority: 3356 Rule Amplifies: 3356 Prior Effective Dates: Prior 11/4/77, 3/2/84, 2/27/85, 1/31/00, 6/16/03, 8/21/10, 1/22/12)