Any officer seeking Oklahoma Peace Officer Certification, who has been certified by a state peace officer standards and training agency as a peace officer in another state, or any officer who has been certified as a federal peace officer by a Council recognized federal law enforcement agency, may obtain certification by reciprocity, under the following conditions:
(1) The officer must meet the minimum peace officer employment standards set forth by law, military service is generally not recognized as federal law enforcement employment.
(2) The officer must have been employed as a full-time peace officer for at least three (3) consecutive months within the two (2) year period immediately preceding the request for Oklahoma certification.
(3) The officer must attend and successfully complete approved reciprocity training within six months of their hire date in Oklahoma.
(4) The officer must successfully pass a certification examination
Officers may have one retest for the certification examination. Any retest would follow the guidelines listed in OAC 390:15-1-13
(6) The director or the director's designee may, in the exercise of discretion, award a certificate to any person who has been duly certified under the laws of another state if, in the opinion of the director, the education, training and experience of that officer equal or exceed the qualifications required to complete satisfactorily the basic course of instruction required for Oklahoma certification. Any person who is awarded reciprocity under this subsection shall attend and successfully complete approved reciprocity training within six months of their hire date in Oklahoma. In his or her discretion, the director or the director's designee may require a person who has been duly certified under the laws of another state to attend and successfully complete a bridge academy in this state within six months of their hire date in Oklahoma in order to receive reciprocity certification.
Okla. Admin. Code § 390:10-1-6
Amended at 12 Ok Reg 2805, eff 7-13-95 ; Amended at 17 Ok Reg
2547, eff 6-26-00 ; Amended at 20 Ok Reg 2452, eff 7-11-03 ; Amended at 21 Ok Reg
2439, eff 7-1-04 ; Amended at 25 Ok Reg 2495, eff 7-15-08 ; Amended at 26 Ok Reg
2558, eff 7-11-09 ; Amended at 30 Ok Reg 1831, eff
Register, Volume 31, Issue 24, September 2, 2014, eff.
Amended by Oklahoma Register, Volume 39, Issue 24, September 1, 2022, eff. 9/11/2022