317:30-3-91 - Reimbursement of services rendered by out-of-state providers
317:30-3-91. Reimbursement of services rendered by out-of-state providers
(a) Before an out-of-state provider can receive reimbursement, it shall contract with SoonerCare and be subject to enrollment, including, but not limited to, providing information requested by the Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) such as name, address, Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number, and verification of licensure and insurance. Out-of-state providers are also subject to the same screening rules, policies, and procedures as in-state providers, including, but not limited to Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 317:30-3-2, and 317:30-3-19.3 through 317:30-3-19.4. Once the OHCA approves enrollment, the provider will receive a SoonerCare provider number that will allow claims to be processed.
(b) While the member's physician may suggest where the member be sent, the OHCA's Chief Medical Officer (CMO), or his or her designee, is responsible for making the final determination based on the most cost effective institution and treatment consistent with the recognized standards of care. Reimbursement for services rendered by out-of-state providers shall be as follows:
(1) Reimbursement for inpatient hospital services shall be made in accordance with OAC 317:30-5-47.
(2) Reimbursement for outpatient hospital services shall be made in accordance with OAC 317:30-5-42.14 and 317:30-5-566.
(3) Reimbursement for physician services shall be the lower of the SoonerCare maximum allowable fee as of the date the service was rendered, available at www.okhca.org (SoonerCare Fee Schedules), or the provider's actual charge. Exceptions to the above reimbursement method are payments for outpatient clinical diagnostic laboratory tests performed by a physician or independent laboratory. These tests will be reimbursed at the lower of the provider's actual charge or a rate of reimbursement equal to the rate paid by Medicare.
(4) Unless authorized by the Oklahoma State Plan, any reimbursement shall not exceed the rate paid by Medicare.
(c) The OHCA may negotiate a higher reimbursement rate for an out-of-state service that is prior authorized, provided that:
(1) The service is not available in Oklahoma; and
(2) The negotiated reimbursement does not exceed the rate paid by Medicare, unless as authorized by the Oklahoma State Plan. Services not covered by Medicare but covered by SoonerCare may be reimbursed as determined by the OHCA.
(d) Individual cases which are adversely affected by these reimbursement procedures may be presented to the OHCA's CMO, or his or her designee, for consideration as an exception to this rule on a case-by-case basis. The CMO's decision, or that of his or her designee, shall be the agency's final decision and is not otherwise appealable under these rules.
(e) Reimbursement of medically necessary lodging, transportation, and/or meals assistance associated with out-of-state services is governed by other OHCA rules, including, but not limited to, OAC 317:30-3-92, 317:30-5-327.1, and 317:35-3-2, as well as Part 31 of OAC 317:30-5.(Adopted by Oklahoma Register, Volume 36, Issue 21, July 15, 2019, eff. 9/1/2019)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.