710:65-13-339 - Qualifications for "Collection and Distribution Organization" exemption
710:65-13-339. Qualifications for "Collection and Distribution Organization" exemption
(a) Qualification for Collection and Distribution Organization exemption. Sales tax does not apply to the sale of tangible personal property or services to or by organizations exempt from taxation pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 501(c)(3) and;
(1) are primarily involved in the collection and distribution of food and household products to other organizations that facilitate the distribution of such products to the needy and such distributee organizations are exempt from taxation pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 501(c)(3) or
(2) facilitate the distribution of such products to the needy.
(b) Application process. Application for exemption is made by submitting to the Taxpayer Assistance Division, Oklahoma Tax Commission, 2501 N. Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, OK 73194, a completed Form 13-16-A, contained in Packet E available telephonically at (405) 521-3160 or online at www.tax.ok.gov along with supporting documentation as follows:
(1) Letter from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) recognizing the organization as exempt from federal income taxation pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 501(c)(3);
(2) A written description stating the activities of the organization, as evidenced by copies of:
(A) Articles of incorporation;
(C) Brochure; or,
(D) Notarized letter from the President or Chairman of the organization; and,
(3) For organizations described in (a)(1) a list of organizations, including federal employee identification numbers, to which items were distributed for the previous calendar year must also be provided.
(c) Exemption limited to eligible, properly documented transactions. Only sales of food, food products, and household products, purchased by the organization, invoiced to the organization, and paid for by funds or check directly from the organization will qualify for the exemption described in this Section.
(d) Other limitations. The exemption set out in this Section does not apply to sales made in the course of business for profit or savings, competing with other persons engaged in the same or similar business.
(e) Purchases by contractors. Purchases of taxable personal property or services by a contractor, as defined by 68 O.S. § 1352 are taxable to the contractor. A contractor may not purchase tangible personal property or services to perform contracts with qualifying "Collection and Distribution Organizations" exempt from sales tax.
Renumbered from 710:65-13-39 at 22 Ok Reg 1561, eff 6-11-05; Amended at 23 Ok Reg 2847, eff 6-25-06; Amended at 25 Ok Reg 2070, eff 7-1-08; Amended at 27 Ok Reg 2308, eff 7-11-10
The following state regulations pages link to this page.