Or. Admin. R. 629-048-0120 - Air Quality Maintenance Objectives
(1) When prescribed burning is conducted near, but outside communities or areas designated as SSRAs, the objective of the Smoke Management Plan is to minimize emissions and avoid smoke intrusions into the SSRA.
(2) When prescribed burning is conducted inside an SSRA, the Smoke Management Plan objective is to use best burn practices and prompt mop-up, as appropriate, along with tight parameters for burn-site conditions that are intended to vent the main smoke plume up and out of the SSRA and minimize residual smoke.
(3) In all other instances of prescribed burning it is the intent under the Smoke Management Plan to minimize the amount and duration of smoke that comes in contact with humans where they live, workor gather in public.
(4) The first element in minimizing smoke contact is encouraging forestland owners to burn only those units which cannot otherwise meet forest management objectives in cost- effective alternative ways such as wood or biomass utilization.
(5) When prescribed burning is used, owners are further encouraged to employ the emission reduction techniques described in OAR 629-048-0210 to ensure the least emissions practicable.
(6) In addition to compliance with Smoke Management instructions issued in the daily forecast and compliance with all conditions of the burn permit required under ORS 477.515, burn bosses and field administrators are encouraged to closely observe local conditions at the burn site. They should alter or suspend lighting if necessary, and mop-up burns, when appropriate, in a manner that takes into consideration the possible smoke effects from the main smoke plume or significant residual smoke on residences or businesses that may be near the burn site.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 477.013, 477.562, 526.016 & 526.041
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 477.013, 477.515 & 477.562
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
No prior version found.