S.C. Code Regs. 39-12 - Approved Procedures of Dental Assistants
The Board has approved performance of the following procedures by dental assistants in South Carolina. No formal academic dental training is required for dental assistants. These procedures must be performed under the direct supervision of a dentist present on the premises and licensed in South Carolina.
(1) Assist in basic supportive chairside procedures.
(2) Chart existing restorations, clinically missing teeth, and appliances within the oral cavity.
(3) Apply topical drugs as prescribed by the dentist.
(4) Place and remove rubber dam.
(5) Place and remove matrix.
(6) Place and remove orthodontic ligatures.
(7) Take and record vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, respiration, etc.).
(8) Expose radiographs upon completion of a Board approved radiation safety course.
(9) Place and remove periodontal packs.
(10) Remove sutures.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
No prior version found.