Basic requirements - Beginning January 1, 2006, the Tennessee Medical Laboratory Board requires each licensee to successfully complete twenty-four (24) hours of approved continuing education pertaining to laboratory technology or laboratory management for the two (2) calendar year (January 1-December 31) period that precedes the licensure renewal year.
The following organizations, entities, and their affiliates and chapters are authorized to present, sponsor, or approve continuing education courses:
1. American Association of Blood Banks.
2. American Board of Bioanalysis.
3. American Board of Clinical Chemistry.
4. American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics.
5. American Board of Medical Genetics.
6. American Board of Medical Laboratory Immunology.
7. American Board of Medical Microbiology.
8. American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology.
9. American Board of Pathology.
10. American College of Health Care Executives.
11. American Medical Association.
12. American Medical Technologists (AMT).
13. American Osteopathic Board of Pathology.
14. American Red Cross.
15. American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science.
16. American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP).
17. American Society of Cytopathology.
18. American Society for Cytotechnology.
19. American Society for Microbiology.
20. Center for Phlebotomy Education.
21. Centers for Disease Control.
22. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
23. Clinical Laboratory Management Association.
24. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI).
25. College of American Pathologists.
26. Greater Memphis Association of Blood Banks.
27. International Academy of Cytology.
28. National Credentialing Agency for Medical Laboratory Professionals (NCA).
29. National Laboratory Training Network (NLTN).
30. Southern Association of Clinical Microbiologists.
31. Southern Association of Cytotechnologists.
32. Tennessee Association of Blood Banks.
33. Tennessee Department of Health.
34. Tennessee Hospital Association.
35. Tennessee Medical Association.
36. Tennessee Professional Assistance Program (TN-PAP) or any Board-approved peer assistance program.
37. Tennessee Society of Pathologists.
38. Tennessee State Society of American Medical Technologists.
39. Accredited colleges and universities.
40. Hospitals licensed by the Tennessee Department of Health, Division of Health Care Facilities.
41. Laboratories, blood donor centers, plasmapheresis centers, ambulatory surgical treatment centers, and collection stations licensed by the Board whose continuing education courses have been approved by the medical laboratory director or his/her designee.
42. Organizations and entities approved by other state laboratory personnel licensing agencies.
43. Organizations and entities approved as P.A.C.E.® (Professional Acknowledgment for Continuing Education) course providers.
Continuing education credit for preparing and teaching continuing education courses - Credit may be earned by preparing and teaching a course presented, sponsored, or approved by an organization or entity listed in subparagraph (a). Documentation of preparing and teaching continuing education courses shall be required as provided in paragraph (3).
1. Courses that were prepared by developing thorough, high quality, readable and carefully prepared written materials will qualify for continuing education credit on the basis of four (4) hours of credit for each hour taught.
2. Courses that were prepared by developing less than five (5) pages of outlines, or not accompanied by written materials, will qualify for continuing education credit on the basis of two (2) credits for each hour taught.
3. Repeat courses qualify for one-half (½) of the credits awarded for the initial course.
4. On-site commentators at multi-media courses will receive credit at the rate of two (2) hours for each hour of the program if they have either viewed the course in advance or otherwise engaged in preparation appropriate to the role of commentator.
5. Each teacher involved in a joint or panel portion of an approved activity shall receive credit as though he or she were the only teacher.
6. No more than eight (8) hours of continuing education credit shall be awarded for preparing and teaching continuing education courses during any two (2) calendar year period.