22 Va. Admin. Code § 40-665-310 - Renumbered
Current through Register Vol. 38, No. 3, September 27, 2021
Statutory Authority: §§ 22.1-16 and 22.1-289.046 of the Code of Virginia.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
22VAC40-665-310. Behavioral guidance.
A. Behavioral guidance shall be constructive in nature, age and stage appropriate, and intended to redirect children to appropriate behavior and resolve conflicts.
B. In order to promote the child's physical, intellectual, emotional, and social well-being and growth, caregivers shall model desired, appropriate behavior and interact with the child and one another to provide needed help, comfort, and support and:
1. Respect personal privacy;
2. Respect differences in cultural, ethnic, and family background;
3. Encourage decision-making abilities;
4. Promote ways of getting along;
5. Encourage independence and self-direction; and
6. Use consistency in applying expectations.
C. If time-out is used as a discipline technique:
1. It shall be used sparingly and shall not exceed one minute for each year of the child's age;
2. It shall not be used with infants or toddlers;
3. The child shall be in a safe, lighted, well-ventilated place and within sight and sound of a caregiver; and
4. The child shall not be left alone inside or outside the home while separated from the group.
§§ 63.2-217, 63.2-319, and 63.2-611 of the Code of Virginia; 45 CFR 98.11.
Derived from Volume 35, Issue 02, eff. October 17, 2018.