22 Va. Admin. Code § 40-665-440 - Renumbered
Current through Register Vol. 38, No. 3, September 27, 2021
Statutory Authority: §§ 22.1-16 and 22.1-289.046 of the Code of Virginia.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
22VAC40-665-440. Transportation and field trips.
A. If the vendor provides transportation, the vendor shall be responsible for the care of the child from the time the child boards the vehicle until returned to the parent or person designated by the parent.
B. Drivers must be 18 years of age or older and possess a valid driver's license to operate the vehicle being driven.
C. Any vehicle used by the vendor for the transportation of children shall meet the following requirements:
1. The vehicle shall be manufactured for the purpose of transporting people seated in an enclosed area;
2. The vehicle's seats shall be attached to the floor;
3. The vehicle shall be insured with at least the minimum limits established by Virginia state statutes as required by § 46.2-472 of the Code of Virginia;
4. The vehicle shall meet the safety standards set by the Department of Motor Vehicles and shall be kept in satisfactory condition to assure the safety of children; and
5. If volunteers supply personal vehicles, the vendor is responsible for ensuring that the requirements of this subsection are met.
D. The vendor shall ensure that during transportation of children:
1. Virginia state statutes about safety belts and child restraints are followed as required by §§ 46.2-1095 through 46.2-1100 of the Code of Virginia, and the stated maximum number of passengers in a given vehicle is not exceeded;
2. The children remain seated and each child's arms, legs, and head remain inside the vehicle;
3. Doors are closed properly and locked unless locks were not installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle;
4. At least one caregiver or the driver always remains in the vehicle when children are present;
5. The caregiver has a list of the names of the children being transported;
6. The caregiver has a copy of each child's emergency contact information; and
7. An allergy care plan and information as specified in 22VAC40-665-170 B 12 shall be carried.
E. When entering and leaving vehicles, children shall enter and leave the vehicle from the curb side of the vehicle or in a protected parking area or driveway.
F. Caregivers shall verify that all children have been removed from the vehicle at the conclusion of any trip.
§§ 63.2-217, 63.2-319, and 63.2-611 of the Code of Virginia; 45 CFR 98.11.
Derived from Volume 35, Issue 02, eff. October 17, 2018.