6VAC20-130-40 - Responsibilities of dealers
6VAC20-130-40. Responsibilities of dealers
It shall be the responsibility of dealers that transfer firearms in Virginia to comply with the following:
1. Register with the Department of State Police to obtain from the department a dealer identification number (DIN) and to access the department's criminal history record VCheck program by telephone or via the Internet.
2. Prior to transferring any firearm, determine if the firearm is a "firearm" as defined in this chapter and § 18.2-308.2:2 of the Code of Virginia.
3. Deny the transfer of a handgun to a non-Virginia resident in accordance with 18 USC § 922(b)(3).
4. Complete the VFTR form.
5. Request a criminal history record information check prior to the transfer of any such firearm.
6. Request a criminal history record check either by telephone, mail, VCheck, or other communication authorized by the Department of State Police prior to the sale of shotguns and rifles to non-Virginia residents.
7. Maintain required forms and records according to the procedures outlined in these regulations.
8. Deny the transfer of a firearm if advised by the Department of State Police that the prospective purchaser is ineligible to possess such a firearm and the department disapproved the transfer of a firearm to the prospective purchaser.
9. Notify the Department of State Police promptly upon any change in registration information (telephone number, address, federal firearms license number, etc.).
10. Provide written notice of the closing of the business to Department State Police in advance of the actual closing date.(Derived from VR240-02-2 § 2.2, eff. November 2, 1990; amended, Virginia Register Volume 8, Issue 3, eff. December 4, 1991; Volume 8, Issue 18, eff. July 1, 1992; Amended, Virginia Register Volume 35, Issue 02, eff. 10/19/2018.)
Statutory Authority: § 18.2-308.2:2 of the Code of Virginia.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.