9 Va. Admin. Code § 25-210-130 - VWP general permits
Current through Register Vol. 38, No. 3, September 27, 2021
Statutory Authority: §§ 62.1-44.15 and 62.1-44.15:5 of the Code of Virginia; § 401 of the Clean Water Act (33 USC § 1251 et seq.).
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
9VAC25-210-130. VWP general permits.
A. The board may issue VWP general permits by regulation for certain specified categories of activities as it deems appropriate, except as limited by subdivision D 2 of § 62.1-44.15:21 of the State Water Control Law.
B. When the board determines on a case-by-case basis that concerns for water quality and the aquatic environment so indicate, the board may require individual applications and VWP individual permits rather than approving coverage under a VWP general permit regulation. Cases where an individual VWP permit may be required include the following:
1. Where the activity may be a significant contributor to pollution;
2. Where the applicant or permittee is not in compliance with the conditions of the VWP general permit regulation or coverage;
3. When an applicant or permittee no longer qualifies for coverage under the VWP general permit; and
4. When a permittee operating under VWP general permit coverage requests to be excluded from coverage by applying for a VWP individual permit.
C. When a VWP individual permit is issued to a permittee, the applicability of the VWP general permit coverage to the individual permittee is automatically terminated on the effective date of the VWP individual permit.
D. When a VWP general permit regulation is issued, which applies to a permittee that is already covered by a VWP individual permit, such person may request exclusion from the provisions of the VWP general permit regulation and subsequent coverage under a VWP individual permit.
E. VWP general permit coverage may be revoked from an individual permittee for any of the reasons set forth in 9VAC25-210-180 subject to appropriate opportunity for a hearing.
F. The permittee shall be required to submit a written notice of project completion and request a permit termination by consent within 30 days following the completion of all activities in all permitted impact areas in accordance with subsection 90 A of the applicable VWP general permit regulation.
G. Activities authorized under a VWP general permit and general permit regulation shall be authorized for the fixed term stated in the applicable VWP general permit and VWP general permit regulation.
H. Unless prohibited from coverage under a VWP general permit, the board may certify or certify with conditions a general, regional, or nationwide permit proposed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in accordance with § 401 of the federal Clean Water Act as meeting the requirements of this chapter and a VWP general permit, provided that the nationwide or regional permit and the certification conditions:
1. Require that wetland or stream impacts be avoided and minimized to the maximum extent practicable;
2. Prohibit impacts that cause or contribute to a significant impairment of state waters or fish and wildlife resources;
3. Require compensatory mitigation sufficient to achieve no net loss of existing wetland acreage and functions or stream functions and water quality benefits;
4. Require that compensatory mitigation for unavoidable wetland impacts be provided in accordance with 9VAC25-210-116; and
5. Require that compensatory mitigation for unavoidable stream impacts be provided in accordance with 9VAC25-210-116, including an analysis of stream impacts utilizing a stream impact assessment methodology approved by the board.
I. The certifications allowed by subsection H of this section may be provided only after the board has advertised and accepted public comment on its intent to provide certification for at least 30 days.
J. Coverage under a general, regional, or nationwide permit promulgated by the USACE and certified by the board in accordance with this section shall be deemed coverage under a VWP general permit regulation upon submission of proof of coverage under the general, regional, or nationwide permit and any other information required by the board through the certification process. Notwithstanding the provisions of 9VAC25-20, no fee shall be required from applicants seeking coverage under this subsection.
§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia; § 401 of the Clean Water Act (33 USC § 1251 et seq.).
Derived from VR680-15-02 § 2.6, eff. May 20, 1992; amended, Volume 17, Issue 21, eff. August 1, 2001; Volume 23, Issue 21, eff. July 25, 2007; Volume 24, Issue 09, eff. February 6, 2008; Volume 25, Issue 05, eff. December 10, 2008; Errata, 25:9 VA.R. 1826 January 5, 2009; amended, Virginia Register Volume 32, Issue 21, eff. August 2, 2016; Volume 35, Issue 04, eff. November 14, 2018.