9 Va. Admin. Code § 5-40-40 - Monitoring
A. Unless otherwise approved by the board, owners of existing sources specified in the applicable emission standard shall install, calibrate, maintain and operate systems for continuously monitoring and recording emissions of specified pollutants. However, nothing in this chapter shall exempt any owner from complying with subsection F of this section.
B. All continuous monitoring systems and monitoring devices shall be installed and operational by July 5, 1983. Verification of operational status shall, as a minimum, consist of the completion of the conditioning period specified by applicable requirements in Appendix B of 40 CFR Part 60.
C. Within 30 days after the date set forth in subsection B of this section and at such other times as may be requested by the board, the owner of any existing source shall conduct continuous monitoring system performance evaluations and furnish the board within 60 days of them two or, upon request, more copies of a written report of the results of such tests.
D. Unless otherwise approved by the board, all continuous monitoring systems required by subsection A of this section shall be installed, calibrated, maintained and operated in accordance with applicable requirements in this section, 9VAC5-40-41, and the applicable emission standard.
E. After receipt and consideration of written application, the board may approve alternatives to any monitoring procedures or requirements of this chapter including, but not limited to, the following:
1. Alternative monitoring requirements when installation of a continuous monitoring system or monitoring device specified by this chapter would not provide accurate measurements due to liquid water or other interferences caused by substances within the effluent gases.
2. Alternative monitoring requirements when the source is infrequently operated.
3. Alternative monitoring requirements to accommodate continuous monitoring systems that require additional measurements to correct for stack moisture conditions.
4. Alternative locations for installing continuous monitoring systems or monitoring devices when the owner can demonstrate the installation at alternate locations will enable accurate and representative measurements.
5. Alternative methods of converting pollutant concentration measurements to units of the standards.
6. Alternative procedures for computing emission averages that do not require integration of data (e.g., some facilities may demonstrate that the variability of their emissions is sufficiently small to allow accurate reduction of data based upon computing averages from equally spaced data points over the averaging period).
7. Alternative monitoring requirements when the effluent from a single source or the combined effluent from two or more sources are released to the atmosphere through more than one point.
8. Alternative procedures for performing calibration checks.
9. Alternative monitoring requirements when the requirements of this section would impose an extreme economic burden on the owner.
10. Alternative monitoring requirements when the continuous monitoring systems cannot be installed due to physical limitations at the source.
11. Alternative continuous monitoring systems that do not meet the design or performance requirements in Performance Specification 1 of Appendix B of 40 CFR Part 60, but which adequately demonstrate a definite and consistent relationship between its measurements and the measurements of opacity by a system complying with the requirements in Performance Specification 1 of Appendix B of 40 CFR Part 60. The board may require that such demonstration be performed for each source.
F. Upon request of the board, the owner of an existing source subject to the provisions of this chapter shall install, calibrate, maintain and operate equipment for continuously monitoring and recording emissions or process parameters or both in accordance with methods and procedures acceptable to the board.
§ 10.1-1308 of the Code of Virginia.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
No prior version found.