132G-121-075 - Appeal from student conduct committee initial decision

132G-121-075. Appeal from student conduct committee initial decision

(1) A party who is aggrieved by the findings or conclusions issued by the student conduct committee may appeal the committee's initial decision to the president by filing a notice of appeal with the president's office within ten days of service of the committee's initial decision. Failure to file a timely appeal constitutes a waiver of the right and the initial decision shall be deemed final.

(2) The notice of appeal must identify the specific findings of fact and/or conclusions of law in the initial decision that are challenged, and must contain argument why the appeal should be granted. If necessary to aid review, the president may ask for additional briefing from the parties on issues raised on appeal. The president's review shall be restricted to the hearing record made before the student conduct committee, and will normally be limited to a review of those issues and arguments raised in the notice of appeal.

(3) The president shall provide a written decision to the party and the student conduct officer within twenty days after receipt of the notice of appeal. The president's decision shall be final and shall include a notice of any rights to request reconsideration and/or judicial review.

(4) In cases involving allegations of sexual misconduct, the president, on the same date that the final decision is served upon the respondent, shall serve a written notice informing the complainant of the final decision. This notice shall inform the complainant whether the sexual misconduct allegation was found to have merit, and describe any disciplinary sanctions and/or conditions imposed upon the respondent for the complainant's protection, including suspension or dismissal of the respondent.

(5) The president shall not engage in an ex parte communication with any of the parties regarding an appeal.

(Adopted by WSR 17-20-071, Filed 10/2/2017, effective 11/2/2017)

The following state regulations pages link to this page.