132K-122-050 - Limits on rights to review and inspect educational records
132K-122-050. Limits on rights to review and inspect educational records
(1) There is no right to review and inspect a parent's confidential financial statements or records or any information contained therein;
(2) Confidential letters and confidential statements of recommendation shall be made available for inspection and review by the student except that:
(a) Inspection and review of such letters and statements placed in the education records prior to January 1, 1975, which were solicited with a written assurance of confidentiality or sent and retained with a documented understanding of confidentiality and which are used only for their specifically intended purposes shall not be permitted;
(b) Inspection and review of such letters and statements placed in the education records after January 1, 1975, shall not be permitted where the letters and statements relate to
(i) Admission to an educational institution;
(ii) An application for employment;
(iii) The receipt of an honor or honorary recognition and where the student has waived his or her rights to inspection or review of such letters and statements as provided for in WAC [132K-122-040].
(3) Where requested records or data include information on more than one student, the student shall be entitled to receive or be informed of only that part of the record for data that pertains to that student.
(4) The registrar is the official custodian of academic records and therefore the only official who may issue the transcript of the student's official academic records or prepare other copies of student's records on file in the registrar's office.
(5) Student education records may be destroyed in accordance with routine retention schedules. In no case will any record which is requested by a student for review in accordance with WAC [132K-122-040] and [132K-122-090] be removed or destroyed prior to informing the student and if requested providing the student access.
Order 37, § 132K-122-050, filed 9/2/77.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.