148-280-040 - Consent for release of records
148-280-040. Consent for release of records
(1) Parental consent must be obtained before personally identifiable information is disclosed to parties, other than officials of participating agencies in accordance with subsection (2) of this section, unless the information is contained in education records, and the disclosure is authorized without parental consent under 34 C.F.R. Part 99.
(2) Except as provided in this section, parental consent is not required before personally identifiable information is released to officials of participating agencies for purposes of meeting a requirement of this part.
(3) Parental consent, or the consent of an eligible student who has reached the age of majority under state law, must be obtained before personally identifiable information is released to officials of participating agencies providing or paying for transition services.
(4) If a parent (or adult student) so requests, the school shall provide him or her with a copy of the records disclosed.
(5) "Directory information" may be disclosed without the parent's (or adult student's) prior written consent, unless the parent (or adult student) notifies the school in writing within ten days of enrollment and thereafter by the tenth day of the academic year that he or she does not want any or all of the student's information to be designated as directory information.(Amended by WSR 16-10-063, Filed 5/2/2016, effective 6/2/2016)
Statutory Authority: RCW 72.40.011. 03-20-014, § 148-280-040, filed 9/22/03, effective 10/23/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 72.40.022 and 20 U.S.C. §§ 1232(g), 1412(2)(D), 1414(a)(1)(B) and 1417(c). 90-16-018, § 148-280-040, filed 7/19/90, effective 8/19/90.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.