162-40-041 - Definitions
For purposes of this regulation, unless the context indicates otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Account" means an extension of credit. When employed in relation to an account, the word "use" refers only to open end credit.
(2) "Adverse action."
(a) The term means:
(i) A refusal to grant credit in substantially the amount or on substantially the terms requested in an application unless the creditor makes a counteroffer (to grant credit in a different amount or on other terms) and the applicant uses or expressly accepts the credit offered;
(ii) A termination of an account or an unfavorable change in the terms of an account that does not affect all or a substantial portion of a class of a creditor's accounts; or
(iii) A refusal to increase the amount of credit available to an applicant who has made an application for an increase in accordance with procedures established by the creditor.
(b) The term does not include:
(i) A change in the terms of an account expressly agreed to by an applicant;
(ii) Any action or forbearance relating to an account taken in connection with inactivity, default, or delinquency as to that account;
(iii) A refusal or failure to authorize an account transaction at a point of sale or loan, except when the refusal is a termination or an unfavorable change in the terms of an account that does not affect all or a substantial portion of a class of the creditor's accounts, or when the refusal is a denial of an application for an increase in the amount of credit available under the account;
(iv) A refusal to extend credit because applicable law prohibits the creditor from extending the credit requested; or
(v) A refusal to extend credit because the creditor does not offer the type of credit or credit plan requested.
(3) "Applicant" means any person who requests or who has received an extension of credit from a creditor, and includes any person who is or may be contractually liable regarding an extension of credit other than a guarantor, surety, endorser, or similar party.
(4) "Application" means an oral or written request for an extension of credit that is made in accordance with procedures established by a creditor for the type of credit requested. The term does not include the use of an account or line of credit to obtain an amount of credit that is within a previously established credit limit. A "completed application" means an application in connection with which a creditor has received all the information that the creditor regularly obtains and considers in evaluating applications for the amount and type of credit requested (including, but not limited to, credit reports, any additional information requested from the applicant, and any approvals or reports by governmental agencies or other persons that are necessary to guarantee, insure, or provide security for the credit or collateral). The creditor shall exercise reasonable diligence in obtaining such information.
(5) "Community property" means community property as defined in RCW 26.16.030 Community property defined -- Management and control.
(6) "Consumer credit" means credit extended to a person primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.
(7) "Consumer reporting agency" means any person which for monetary fees, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purposes of furnishing reports on consumers to third parties.
(8) "Contractually liable" means expressly obligated to repay all debts arising on an account by reason of an agreement to that effect.
(9) "Credit" means the right granted by a creditor to an applicant to defer payment of a debt, incur debt and defer its payment, or purchase property or services and defer payment therefor.
(10) "Credit card" means any card, plate, coupon book, or other single credit device that may be used from time to time to obtain money, property, or services on credit.
(11) "Creditor" means a person who, in the ordinary course of business, regularly participates in the decision of whether or not to extend credit. The term includes the creditor's assignee, transferee, or subrogee who so participates. The term also includes a person who, in the ordinary course of business, regularly refers applicants or prospective applicants to creditors, or selects or offers to select creditors to whom requests for credit may be made. A person is not a creditor regarding any violation committed by another creditor unless the person knew or had reasonable notice of the act, policy, or practice that constituted a violation before becoming involved in the credit transaction. The term does not include a person whose only participation in a credit transaction is to honor a credit card.
(12) "Credit transaction" is defined in RCW 49.60.040.
(13) "Extend credit and extension of credit" mean the granting of credit in any form, including, but not limited to, credit granted in addition to any existing credit or credit limit; credit granted pursuant to an open end credit plan; the refinancing or other renewal of credit, including the issuance of a new credit card in place of an expiring credit card or in substitution for an existing credit card; the consolidation of two or more obligations; or the continuance of existing credit without any special effort to collect at or after maturity.
(14) "Good faith" means honesty in fact in the conduct or transaction.
(15) "Inadvertent error" means a mechanical, electronic, or clerical error that a creditor demonstrates was not intentional and occurred notwithstanding the maintenance of procedures reasonably adapted to avoid any such error.
(16) "Marital status" is defined in RCW 49.60.040(7).
(17) "Open end credit" means credit extended under a plan in which a creditor may permit an applicant to make purchases or obtain loans from time to time directly from the creditor or indirectly by use of a credit card, check, or other device. The term does not include negotiated advances under an open end real estate mortgage or letter of credit.
(18) "Person" is defined in RCW 49.60.040.
(19) "Separate property" is defined in RCW 26.16.010 and 26.16.020.
Statutory Authority: RCW 49.60.120(3). 00-01-177, § 162-40-041, filed 12/21/99, effective 1/21/00; Order 34, § 162-40-041, filed 6/30/77.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.