172-10-080 - Costs of providing copies of public records
172-10-080. Costs of providing copies of public records
(1) Pursuant to RCW 42.56.120(2)(b), Eastern Washington University is not calculating all actual costs for copying records because to do so would be unduly burdensome as the university does not have the resources to conduct a study to determine all actual copying costs, it is difficult to calculate all costs directly incident to copying records, and to conduct such a study would interfere with other essential university functions. In addition, the university may charge the requestor the reasonable costs of redacting, altering, distorting, pixelating, suppressing or otherwise obscuring any portion of body camera recordings in accordance with RCW 42.56.240 regardless of whether or not the requestor asks for a copy of such recordings or asks to view them in person.
(2) Costs for copies. The university will charge for copies of records pursuant to the default fees in RCW 42.56.120(2)(b) and (c). The university may also use any other method authorized by the Public Records Act for imposing charges for public records including, but not limited to, charging a flat fee, charging a customized service charge, or charging based on a contract or other agreement with a requestor. A copy of the university's fee schedule will be available on its public records website.
(3) The university may waive charges assessed for records when the public records officer determines collecting a fee is not cost effective.
(4) There is no fee for inspecting public records, unless it requires customized access to a database or the redaction of body camera footage. Before beginning to make the copies, the public records officer may require a deposit of up to ten percent of the estimated costs of copying all the records selected by the requestor. The public records officer may also require the payment of the remainder of the copying costs before providing all the records, or the payment of the costs of copying an installment before providing that installment. Eastern Washington University will not charge sales tax when it makes copies of public records.
(5) Costs of mailing. Eastern Washington University may also charge actual costs of mailing, including the cost of the shipping container.
(6) Payment. Payment may be made by cash, check, or money order to Eastern Washington University.(Adopted by WSR 14-24-034, Filed 11/24/2014, effective 12/25/2014 Amended by WSR 18-06-019, Filed 2/27/2018, effective 3/30/2018 Amended by WSR 21-12-036, Filed 5/25/2021, effective 6/25/2021)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.