172-191-060 - Amendment of records

172-191-060. Amendment of records

If a student believes his/her education records contain information that is inaccurate, misleading or in violation of the student's rights of privacy, the student may ask the university to amend the record. Requests for amendment must be submitted to the registrar's office in writing. The registrar will review the request and may consult other university personnel who participated in creation of the record to determine whether to grant the request for amendment.

(1) If the university decides to grant the student's request, the university shall amend the education record and the registrar will inform the student of the action taken. Such notification will be in writing and will be made within a reasonable time.

(2) If the university decides not to amend the education record as requested, the registrar will notify the student in writing within a reasonable time after receiving the request for amendment. Notification will also inform the student of his/her right to a hearing as detailed in WAC 172-191-070.

(3) If a student wants a hearing, the student must make a written request within ninety days of the date of the denial. The request shall be submitted to the registrar and must identify why the student believes the information contained in the education record(s) is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the privacy rights of the student.

Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.35.120(12). 09-19-064, ยง 172-191-060, filed 9/14/09, effective 10/15/09.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.