181-80-005 - Definitions
The following definitions shall apply to terms used in this chapter:
(1) Clinical practice: "Clinical practice" means a specific, prolonged field experience where the candidate practices or serves in the role for which they are being prepared. Clinical practice must take place in an education setting and under the general supervision of a certificated practitioner, with three years' experience in the role for which the candidate is seeking certification, as defined in WAC 181-78A-010.
(2) District staff member: For the purposes of chapter 181-80 WAC, these candidates may be classified district staff members; or district staff members who hold initial, continuing, or limited career technical education certificates; or district early learning education staff.
(3) Field experience: "Field experience" means learning experiences in school, clinical, or laboratory settings. These learning experiences must be related to specific program outcomes and designed to integrate educational theory, knowledge, and skills in actual practice under the direction of a qualified supervisor as defined in WAC 181-78A-010.
(4) Internship: "Internship" means the period of clinical practice for candidates enrolled in approved administrator, school counselor, and school psychologist preparation programs as defined in WAC 181-78A-010.
(5) Preresidency intensive academy: The preresidency intensive academy shall require candidates to, prior to beginning residency, gain foundational knowledge in professional educator standards board-approved program domain standards as described in chapter 181-78A WAC; an introduction to the culture of schools, lesson planning, and basic classroom management; and training in cultural competency.
(6) Residency: A residency is a year-long field experience with a minimum of five hundred forty hours of student teaching. Residency is facilitated through partnership of preparation program and school district. Mentoring is required for the duration of the residency.
(7) Student teaching: "Student teaching" means the period of clinical practice for individuals enrolled in teacher preparation programs as defined in WAC 181-78A-010.(Adopted by WSR 19-05-010, Filed 2/7/2019, effective 3/10/2019 Amended by WSR 20-22-006, Filed 10/21/2020, effective 11/21/2020)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.