296-400A-023 - What process is required for renewal of plumber certificates of competency?
296-400A-023. What process is required for renewal of plumber certificates of competency?
(1) An individual must apply for renewal of their plumbing certificate before the expiration date of the certificate. The individual may not apply for renewal more than ninety days prior to the expiration date. Plumber certificates are renewed every three years.
(2) An individual may renew their certificate within ninety days after the expiration date without reexamination if the individual pays the doubled renewal fee referenced in RCW 18.106.070.
(3) All applications for renewal received more than ninety days after the expiration date of the plumbing certificate require that the plumber pass the appropriate competency examination before being recertified.
(4) All applicants for plumbing certificate renewal must:
(a) Submit a complete renewal application;
(b) Pay all appropriate fees; and
(c) Provide accurate evidence that the individual has completed the continuing education requirements described in WAC 296-400A-028 (excluding backflow specialty).
If an individual files inaccurate or false evidence of continuing education information when renewing a plumbing certificate, the individual's plumbing certificate may be suspended or revoked.
(5) A journey level, domestic pump specialty, residential specialty, or residential service plumber certificate holder who has not completed the required hours of continuing education on or before the renewal date must pay a doubled fee according to RCW 18.106.070. Also, if the required hours of continuing education are not completed within ninety days after the expiration date the applicant will be required to retake the examination and pay the appropriate fees prior to being placed in active status.
(6) Backflow specialty plumber certificate holders must submit evidence of an active backflow assembly tester certification issued by the department of health within ninety days of their expiration date. If the backflow assembly tester evidence is not submitted within ninety days after the expiration date, the applicant will be required to retake the examination and pay the appropriate fees prior to being placed in active status.
(7) An individual may renew a suspended plumbing certificate by submitting a complete renewal application including obtaining and submitting the continuing education required for renewal. However, the certificate will remain in a suspended status for the duration of the suspension period.
(8) An individual may not renew a revoked plumbing certificate.(Amended by WSR 16-08-100, Filed 4/5/2016, effective 5/16/2016 Amended by WSR 20-16-141, Filed 8/4/2020, effective 8/4/2020)
Statutory Authority: RCW 18.106.040, 18.106.140. 06-24-040, § 296-400A-023, filed 11/30/06, effective 12/31/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.106.040, 18.106.140, 2002 c 82, and 2003 c 399. 04-12-046, § 296-400A-023, filed 5/28/04, effective 6/30/04.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.