296-56-60011 - Slinging
(1) You must safely sling drafts before being hoisted. Loose dunnage or debris hanging or protruding from loads must be removed.
(2) You must hoist bales of cotton, wool, cork, wood pulp, gunny bags, or similar articles only by straps strong enough to support the weight of the bale. At least two hooks, each in a separate strap, must be used.
(3) You must only hoist unitized loads bound by bands or straps by the banding or strapping if the banding or strapping is suitable for hoisting and is strong enough to support the weight of the load.
(4) You must use additional means of hoisting to ensure safe lifting of unitized loads having damaged banding or strapping.
(5) You must use case hooks only with cases designed to be hoisted by these hooks.
(6) You must guide loads requiring continuous manual guidance during handling by guide ropes (tag lines) that are long enough to control the load.
(7) You must handle intermodal containers in accordance with WAC 296-56-60103.
(8) You must require employees to stay clear of the area beneath overhead drafts or descending lifting gear.
(9) You must not permit employees to ride the hook or the load.
(10) You must attach cargo handling bridles, such as pallet bridles, which are to remain attached to the hoisting gear while hoisting successive drafts, by shackles, or other positive means must be taken to prevent them from becoming accidentally disengaged from the cargo hook.
(11) You must sling drafts of lumber, pipe, dunnage and other pieces, the top layer of which is not bound by the sling, in such a manner as to prevent sliders. Double slings must be used on unstrapped dunnage, except, when due to the size of hatch or deep tank openings, it is impractical to use them.
(12) You must not load hand loaded buckets, tubs, bins and baskets used in handling bulk cargo above their rim.(Amended by WSR 15-24-102, Filed 12/1/2015, effective 1/5/2016)
Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040. 99-02-024, § 296-56-60011, filed 12/30/98, effective 3/30/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040 and 49.17.050. 86-03-064 (Order 86-02), § 296-56-60011, filed 1/17/86; 85-01-022 (Order 84-24), § 296-56-60011, filed 12/11/84.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.