296-56-60079 - General rules applicable to vehicles
296-56-60079. General rules applicable to vehicles
(1) The requirements of this section apply to general vehicle use within marine terminals except in cases where the provisions of subsections (3) and (13) of this section are preempted by regulations of the department of transportation.
(2) You must allow private vehicle parking in marine terminals only in designated areas.
(3) You must not disconnect trailers from tractors at loading docks until the road wheels have been immobilized. The road wheels must be immobilized from the time the brake system is disconnected until braking is again provided. Supplementary front end support must be employed as necessary to prevent tipping when a trailer is entered by a material handling vehicle. Rear end support must be employed if rear wheels are so far forward as to allow tipping when the trailer is entered.
(4) You must direct motor vehicle operators to comply with any posted speed limits, other traffic control signs or signals, and written traffic instructions.
(5) You must post stop signs at main entrances and exits of structures where visibility is impaired, and at blind intersections, unless direct traffic control, warning mirror systems or other systems of equivalent safety are provided.
(6) You must establish, identify, and use vehicular routes, traffic rules and parking areas .
(7) You must make sure vehicle drivers warn anyone in traffic lanes of the vehicle's approach.
(8) You must clearly post signs indicating pedestrian traffic at vehicular check-in and check-out lines and similar locations where employees may be working.
(9) You must maintain a distance of not less than twenty feet (6.1 m) between the first two vehicles in a check-in, check-out, road ability, or vessel loading/discharging line. This distance must be maintained between any subsequent vehicles behind which employees are required to work.
(10) You must make sure no unattended vehicle shall be left with its engine running unless secured against movement (see WAC 296-56-60077 for powered industrial trucks).
(11) You must provide and secure a ramp when the rear of a vehicle is elevated to facilitate loading or discharging. The vehicle must be secured against accidental movement during loading or discharging.
(12) You must make sure only vehicle floors in safe condition are used.
(13) You must make sure when flatbed trucks, platform containers or similar conveyances are loaded or discharged and the cargo consists of pipe or other products which could spread or roll to endanger employees, the cargo is contained to prevent movement.
(14) You must maintain vehicles used to transport employees within a terminal in safe working order and safety devices not be removed or made inoperable.(Amended by WSR 15-24-102, Filed 12/1/2015, effective 1/5/2016)
Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040. 99-02-024, § 296-56-60079, filed 12/30/98, effective 3/30/99. Statutory Authority: Chapter 49.17 RCW and RCW 49.17.040, [49.17].050 and [49.17].060. 92-22-067 (Order 92-06), § 296-56-60079, filed 10/30/92, effective 12/8/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040 and 49.17.050. 86-03-064 (Order 86-02), § 296-56-60079, filed 1/17/86; 85-01-022 (Order 84-24), § 296-56-60079, filed 12/11/84.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.