296-56-60089 - Conveyors
(1) You must meet the following requirements for guards:
(a) Danger zones at or adjacent to conveyors must be guarded to protect employees.
(b) An elevated walkway with guardrail or equivalent means of protection must be provided where employees cross over moving conveyors. Suitable guarding must be provided when employees pass under moving conveyors.
(2) You must secure conveyor rollers and wheels in position.
(3) You must firmly place and secure gravity conveyor sections to prevent them from falling.
(4) You must meet the following requirements for braking:
(a) When necessary for safe operation, provisions must be made for braking objects at the delivery end of the conveyor.
(b) Conveyors using electrically released brakes must be constructed so that the brakes cannot be released until power is applied, and the brakes are automatically engaged if the power fails or the operating control is returned to the "stop" position.
(5) You must make sure portable conveyors are stable within their operating ranges. When used at variable fixed levels, the unit must be secured at the operating level.
(6) You must provide readily accessible stop controls for use in an emergency whenever employees are required to walk or work in the vicinity of the conveyor. The emergency stop device must be available within easy reach from any position on or adjacent to the conveyor.
(7) You must not start powered conveyors until all employees are clear of the conveyor or have been warned that the conveyor is about to start.
(8) You must keep the area around conveyor loading and unloading points clear of obstructions during conveyor operations.
(9) You must meet the following requirements for lock-out/tagout:
(a) Conveyors must be stopped and their power sources locked out and tagged out during maintenance, repair, and servicing, unless power is necessary for testing.
(b) The starting device must be locked out and tagged out in the stop position before an attempt is made to remove the cause of a jam or overload of the conveying medium, unless it is necessary to have the power on to remove the jam.
(10) You must meet the requirements for chutes, gravity conveyors and rollers:
(a) Chutes used in the manual handling of cargo must be adequate for the use to which they are put and must be kept free of splinters and sharp edges.
(b) Chutes must be equipped with sideboards of sufficient height to prevent cargo from falling off.
(c) Chutes and gravity roller sections must be firmly placed or secured to prevent displacement.
(d) Gravity rollers must be of sufficient strength for the weight of material which is placed upon them. Rollers must be locked in position to prevent them from falling or jumping out of the frame.
(e) Frames must be kept free of burrs and sharp edges.
(f) When necessary, provision must be made for braking objects at the delivery end of the roller or chute.
(11) You must meet the following requirements for safe practices:
(a) Only designated persons must operate, repair or service powered conveyors.
(b) You must direct employees to stay off operating conveyors.
(c) Conveyors must be operated only with all overload devices, guards and safety devices in place and functional.(Amended by WSR 15-24-102, Filed 12/1/2015, effective 1/5/2016)
Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040 and 49.17.050. 86-03-064 (Order 86-02), § 296-56-60089, filed 1/17/86; 85-10-004 (Order 85-09), § 296-56-60089, filed 4/19/85; 85-01-022 (Order 84-24), § 296-56-60089, filed 12/11/84.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.