296-56-60116 - Payment for protective equipment
296-56-60116. Payment for protective equipment
(1) You must provide the protective equipment, including personal protective equipment (PPE), used to comply with this part, at no cost to your employees, except at provided by subsections (2) through (6) of this section.
(2) You are not required to pay for nonspecialty safety-toe protective footwear (including steel-toe shoes or steel-toe boots) and nonspecialty prescription safety eyewear, provided that you permit such items to be worn off the job site.
(3) You are not required to reimburse the employee for shoes or boots when you provide metatarsal guards and allow the employee, at their request, to use shoes or boots with built-in metatarsal protection.
(4) You are not required to pay for:
(a) Everyday clothing, such as long-sleeve shirts, long pants, street shoes, and normal work boots; or
(b) Ordinary clothing, skin creams, or other items, used solely for protection from the weather, such as winter coats, jackets, gloves, parkas, rubber boots, hats, raincoats, ordinary sunglasses, and sunscreen.
(5) You must pay for replacement PPE, except when the employee has lost or intentionally damaged the PPE.
(6) You may allow the employee to use protective equipment that they own if it is adequate, and you are not required to reimburse the employee for that equipment. You must not require an employee to provide or pay for their own PPE, unless the PPE is excepted by subsections (2) through (6) of this section.(Amended by WSR 15-24-102, Filed 12/1/2015, effective 1/5/2016)
Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, 49.17.060. 09-05-071, § 296-56-60116, filed 2/17/09, effective 4/1/09.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.