296-876-60055 - Hatches
When a fixed ladder terminates at a hatch (see Figure D-3 below), you must ensure the hatch cover:
(1) Opens with sufficient clearance to provide easy access to or from the ladder.
WAC 296-875-60055(1) applies to general industry only. See the exemption list in the scope of WAC 296-876-100 for more information.
(2) Opens at least seventy degrees from the horizontal if the hatch is counterbalanced.
(3) You must make sure the inside clear width of the hatch is a nominal thirty inches.
(4) You must make sure the distance from the centerline of the rungs or cleats to the edge of the hatch opening on the climbing side, measured perpendicular to the ladder, is:
(a) Not less than twenty-four inches; or
(b) Greater than thirty inches.
(5) You must make sure hatches with clearance on the climbing side of the ladder that is between twenty-four and twenty-seven inches are fitted with a deflector plate mounted at an angle of sixty degrees from the horizontal.
The springs or other counterbalance mechanisms for the hatch may project into the hatch opening provided they do not reduce clearance to less than twenty-four inches and a deflector plate is installed to guide persons around the obstruction.
Figure D-3 - Example of Counterbalanced Hatch Cover at Roof(Amended by WSR 14-09-095, filed 4/22/14, effective 7/1/14 Amended by WSR 20-09-146, Filed 4/21/2020, effective 10/1/2020)
Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, 49.17.060. 06-16-020, § 296-876-60055, filed 7/24/06, effective 12/1/06.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.