296-876-60060 - Platforms
(1) You must make sure landing platforms for side-step ladders extend at least thirty inches on the climbing side of the ladder.
(2) You must make sure landing platforms are:
(a) At least thirty inches wide; and
(b) Equipped with standard railings and toeboards placed to allow safe access to the ladder.
Reference: Requirements for standard railings and toeboards are in Railing, toeboards, and cover specifications, WAC 296-24-75011, the General Safety and Health Standards, chapter 296-24 WAC.
(3) You must make sure the top rung or step of the ladder is level with the landing served by the ladder.
(4) You must make sure the spacing from the landing platform to the first rung below the platform of a through ladder is the same as the rung spacing of the ladder.
(5) You must make sure, if two or more separate ladders are used to reach an elevated work area, that the ladders are offset with a platform or landing between them.
EXEMPTION: A platform or landing is not required when a portable ladder is used to reach a fixed ladder on structures such as utility towers and billboards where the bottom of the fixed ladder is elevated to limit access.(Amended by WSR 14-09-095, filed 4/22/14, effective 7/1/14)
Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, 49.17.060. 06-16-020, § 296-876-60060, filed 7/24/06, effective 12/1/06.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.