296-876-91005 - General requirements
296-876-91005. General requirements
You must ensure:
(1) Mobile ladder stands and platforms have a step width of at least sixteen inches (41 cm).
(2) Steps and platforms of mobile ladder stands and platforms are slip resistant. Slip-resistant surfaces must be either an integral part of the design and construction of the mobile ladder stand and platform, or provided as a secondary process or operation, such as dimpling, knurling, shotblasting, coating, spraying, or applying durable slip-resistant tapes.
(3) Mobile ladder stands and platforms are capable of supporting at least four times their maximum intended load.
(4) Load bearing wheels or casters are capable of supporting their proportional share of four times the maximum intended load, plus their proportional share of the unit's weight.
(5) Unless otherwise specified in this section, mobile ladder stands and platforms with a top step height of four feet (1.2 m) or above have handrails with a vertical height of twenty-nine and one-half inches (75 cm) to thirty-seven inches (94 cm), measured from the front edge of a step. Removable gates or nonrigid members, such as chains, may be used instead of handrails in special-use applications.
(6) The maximum work-surface height of mobile ladder stands and platforms does not exceed four times the shortest base dimension, without additional support. For greater heights, outriggers, counterweights, or comparable means that stabilize the mobile ladder stands and platforms and prevent overturning must be used.
(7) Mobile ladder stands and platforms that have wheels or casters are equipped with a system to impede horizontal movement when an employee is on the stand or platform.
(8) You must ensure mobile ladder stands and platforms are not moved while an employee is on them.(Adopted by WSR 20-09-146, Filed 4/21/2020, effective 10/1/2020)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.