308-104-105 - Occupational/temporary restricted license denial hearings
308-104-105. Occupational/temporary restricted license denial hearings
(1) Upon notification by the department that an occupational/temporary restricted driver's license has been denied under RCW 46.20.391 the aggrieved person may request a formal hearing to contest the department's decision. No hearing need be granted where the department is prevented from issuing an occupational/temporary restricted driver's license by rule or law. A request for a hearing must be submitted in writing.
(2) Within ten days of receipt of a request for a hearing, the department shall notify the requester in writing of the time and location of the hearing. The hearing may be held either in the person's county of residence or in any county adjoining the person's county of residence, except that all or part of the hearing may, at the discretion of the department, be conducted by telephone or other electronic means.
(3) The hearing shall be conducted by a hearing officer appointed by the director. The director may delegate the authority to render final decisions to the hearing officer.
(4) The scope of the hearing shall be limited to the following issues:
(a) Whether the person had previously been issued a valid license.
(b) Whether the suspension or revocation giving rise to the application for an occupational/temporary restricted driver's license is one for which an occupational/temporary restricted driver's license may be issued under RCW 46.20.391.
(c) Whether the person has committed an offense of vehicular assault or vehicular homicide within the seven years immediately preceding the conviction or incident for which the occupational/temporary restricted driver's license is requested or, if there are multiple suspensions or revocations in effect, within the seven years immediately preceding the latest conviction or incident for which the occupational/temporary restricted driver's license is requested.
(d) Whether the person is currently suspended or revoked for any reason for which an occupational/temporary restricted driver's license is not available.
(e) Whether it is necessary that the person operate a motor vehicle because he or she:
(i) Is engaged in an occupation or trade that makes it essential that the person operate a motor vehicle. For purposes of this section, occupation or trade means being self-employed, or in the employ of another, for monetary compensation;
(ii) Is undergoing continuing health care or providing continuing care to another who is dependent upon the person;
(iii) Is enrolled in an educational institution and pursuing a course of study leading to a diploma, degree, or other certification of successful educational completion;
(iv) Is undergoing substance abuse treatment or is participating in meetings in a twelve-step group such as Alcoholics Anonymous that requires the person to drive to or from the treatment or meetings;
(v) Is fulfilling court-ordered community service responsibilities;
(vi) Is in a program that assists persons who are enrolled in a WorkFirst program pursuant to chapter 74.08A RCW to become gainfully employed and the program requires a driver's license;
(vii) Is in an apprenticeship, on-the-job training, or welfare-to-work program; or
(viii) Presents evidence that he or she has applied for a position in an apprenticeship or on-the-job training program for which a driver's license is required to begin the program.
(5) The person's official driving record provided to the hearing officer by the department shall be prima facie evidence of the issues contained in subsection (4)(a) through (d) of this section unless the person presents clear and convincing evidence to the contrary.
(6) The person shall have the burden of proving that he or she meets one or more of the qualifying circumstances described in subsection (4)(e) of this section that makes it essential to operate a motor vehicle.
(7) In the event that the person fails to appear for the hearing, no hearing shall be held. The case shall be remanded to the department and the department's previous decision denying the occupational/temporary restricted driver's license shall be affirmed.
Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110, 46.20.385, 46.20.391, and 46.20.745. 08-24-059, § 308-104-105, filed 11/26/08, effective 1/1/09. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110 and 46.20.391(1)(c). 04-18-059, § 308-104-105, filed 8/27/04, effective 9/27/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110. 00-18-070, § 308-104-105, filed 9/1/00, effective 10/2/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110 and 1989 c 178 §§ 3, 5, 8 and 16. 89-18-003, § 308-104-105, filed 8/24/89, effective 9/24/89. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.20.391, 46.01.110 and 46.65.020. 86-07-018 (Order DS 2), § 308-104-105, filed 3/12/86.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.