308-48-010 - Definitions
For the purpose of these rules, the following terms will be construed as follows:
(1) "Arrangements" means the discussion(s) that take place between the funeral director and person(s) with the right to control disposition, or their designated representative of the deceased, during which the funeral director provides options for the preparation of the body, use of facilities and staff, and selection of merchandise including the associated prices; and after which the funeral director provides a signed written summary of the services and/or merchandise selected to be provided by the funeral establishment.
(2) "Authorizing agent" means the person(s) legally entitled to control the disposition of the human remains.
(3) "Board" means the funeral and cemetery board.
(4) "Embalmer" means a person engaged in the profession or business of disinfecting and preserving human remains for transportation or final disposition.
(5) "Embalmer intern" is a person engaged in the study and supervised practical training of embalming under the instruction of a qualified sponsor.
(6) "Final disposition" means burial, entombment, inurnment, or scattering.
(7) "Funeral director" means a person engaged in the profession or business of providing for the care, shelter, transportation, and arrangements for the disposition of human remains that may include arranging and directing funeral, memorial, or other services.
(8) "Funeral director intern" is a person engaged in the study and supervised practical training of funeral directing under the instruction of a qualified sponsor.
(9) "Funeral establishment" means a place of business licensed in accordance with RCW 18.39.145, that provides for any aspect of the care, shelter, transportation, embalming, preparation, and arrangements for the disposition of human remains and includes all areas of such entity and all equipment, instruments, and supplies used in the care, shelter, transportation, preparation, and embalming of human remains.
(10) "Internship" means a course of required practical training, for a specified period of time, as a prerequisite for obtaining a license to practice the profession of funeral directing or embalming.(Amended by WSR 20-09-031, Filed 4/6/2020, effective 5/7/2020)
Statutory Authority: RCW 18.39.175 and chapter 34.05 RCW. 09-06-043, § 308-48-010, filed 2/25/09, effective 3/28/09; 07-18-030, § 308-48-010, filed 8/28/07, effective 9/28/07; 07-03-027, § 308-48-010, filed 1/5/07, effective 2/5/07. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.39.175(4). 02-19-019, § 308-48-010, filed 9/9/02, effective 10/10/02; 86-15-022 (Order PM 604), § 308-48-010, filed 7/11/86. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.39.175. 83-04-020 (Order PL 419), § 308-48-010, filed 1/26/83; Rule 1, filed 9/17/64.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.