308-96A-545 - Gold Star license plate
308-96A-545. Gold Star license plate
(1) What is a Gold Star license plate? The Gold Star license plate recognizes the eligible family members of United States armed forces members who have died while in service to their country or as a result of such service.
(2) Who qualifies as an eligible family member of a member of the United States armed forces? Eligible family members are listed in RCW 46.18.245. For purposes of this section, a widow or widower includes the surviving member of a registered domestic partnership.
(3) Can a Gold Star plate be transferred to a new owner? No. The plate may only be transferred to a vehicle owned by the same registered owner. If the qualified applicant transfers the plate to a new motor vehicle registered to them, they are required to pay the plate transfer fee.
(4) Can a Gold Star plate be personalized? Yes. A Gold Star plate can be personalized. The customer is required to pay all fees associated with a personalized plate original purchase or renewal.
(5) Can I use a Gold Star plate on a commercial vehicle? Yes, provided the commercial vehicle is owned by a qualified applicant.
(6) Can a prorated vehicle display a Gold Star plate if the vehicle is under the name of the qualified applicant that is eligible for this plate? No per chapter 46.87 RCW.(Amended by WSR 15-10-005, Filed 4/22/2015, effective 5/23/2015 Amended by WSR 20-07-062, Filed 3/13/2020, effective 4/13/2020)
Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110, 46.16.305 and 46.16.725. WSR 08-22-066, § 308-96A-545, filed 11/4/08, effective 12/5/08. WSR 13-23-007, § 308-96A-545, filed 11/7/2013, effective 12/8/2013
The following state regulations pages link to this page.