314-44-005 - Agent's license required - Eligible employers defined - Certain classes limited - Bona fide entity defined - Prohibited practices
314-44-005. Agent's license required - Eligible employers defined - Certain classes limited - Bona fide entity defined - Prohibited practices
(1) No person shall canvass for, solicit, receive or take orders for the purchase or sale of any liquor, or act as the agent for the purchase or sale of liquor, nor contact any licensees of the board in goodwill activities, unless such person is holder of an agent's license as provided in RCW 66.24.310, and this regulation.
(2) An agent's license may be issued to the accredited representative of a person, firm, or corporation within the state of Washington holding any of the following licenses:
(a) A beer certificate of approval license;
(b) A beer distributor's license;
(c) A brewer's license;
(d) A beer importer's license;
(e) A wine certificate of approval license;
(f) A wine distributor license;
(g) A domestic winery license;
(h) A wine importer's license;
(i) A spirits certificate of approval license;
(j) A spirits distributor license;
(k) A distiller or craft distiller license; or
(l) A spirits importer license.
(3) An agent's license may be issued to the accredited representative of a distiller, manufacturer, importer, or distributor of spirituous liquor, or foreign produced beer or wine. A person, firm, or corporation so qualified, is herein defined to be an eligible employer. Such employer shall apply to the board for such an agent's license for his accredited representatives on application forms prescribed and furnished by the board. This subsection shall not apply to drivers who deliver beer or wine or to domestic wineries or their employees. Employees of a domestic winery must have identification on them that indicates they work for the winery. Identification may be in the form of a winery's business card, employee badge, or similar identification.
(4) Any person acting as an independent contractor for a winery must have an agent's license. An independent contractor is defined as an independent business person who runs his or her own business that provides services to another individual or business. The independent contractor is a separate business entity. The earnings of a person who is working as an independent contractor are subject to self-employment tax.
(5) Every firm which applies for an agent's license under the provisions of this section shall furnish the board with satisfactory proof that such firm is in fact a bona fide business entity.
(6) Only the licensed agent of a distiller, manufacturer, importer, or distributor of spirituous liquor may contact retail licensees in goodwill activities when such contacts pertain to spirituous liquor products.
(7) No distiller, manufacturer, importer, or distributor, or agent thereof, shall allow, pay or rebate, directly or indirectly, any cash or merchandise to any retail licensee to induce or promote the sale of liquor, including the payment of tips to such licensees or their employees and the purchasing of drinks "for the house." Such persons, firms and licensees must operate in conformity with WAC 314-12-140, RCW 66.28.010, 66.28.040, and other applicable laws and rules.
(8) Upon the termination of the employment of a licensed agent, his employer shall immediately notify the board and with such notice return to the board the agent's license issued to such person.
Statutory Authority: RCW 66.08.030 and 66.08.050. 12-17-006, § 314-44-005, filed 8/1/12, effective 9/1/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 66.24.310 and 66.08.030. 11-24-099, § 314-44-005, filed 12/7/11, effective 1/7/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 66.08.030, 15.88.030, 19.126.020, 66.04.010, 66.08.180, 66.16.100, 66.20.010, 66.20.300, 66.20.310, 66.24.150, 66.24.170, 66.24.185, 66.24.200, 66.24.206, 66.24.210, 66.24.230, 66.24.240, 66.24.244, 66.24.250, 66.24.375, 66.24.380, 66.24.395, 66.24.400, 66.24.420, 66.24.425, 66.24.440, 66.24.450, 66.24.455, 66.24.495, 66.24.540, 66.28.010, 66.28.040, 66.28.050, 66.28.170, 66.28.180, 66.28.190, 66.28.200, 66.28.310, 66.44.190, 66.44.310, 66.98.060 and 82.08.150. 98-18-097, § 314-44-005, filed 9/2/98, effective 10/3/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 66.08.030. 89-01-004 (Order 271, Resolution No. 280), § 314-44-005, filed 12/8/88. Statutory Authority: RCW 66.08.030 and 66.98.070. 82-04-029 (Order 93, Resolution No. 102), § 314-44-005, filed 1/27/82; Order 46, § 314-44-005, Rule 111, filed 6/9/76. Formerly WAC 314-44-010 and 314-44-020.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.