Wash. Admin. Code § 388-310-0800 - WorkFirst-Support services

Current through Register Vol. 21-24, December 15, 2021

(1) Who can get support services?

People who can get support services include:

(a) WorkFirst participants who receive a TANF cash grant;
(b) Sanctioned WorkFirst participants during the required participation before the sanction is lifted or applicants who were terminated while in noncompliance sanction who are doing activities required to reopen cash assistance (WAC 388-310-1600 );
(c) TANF/SFA applicants as needed to meet the Work-First orientation requirements under WAC 388-400-0005(2) or 388-400-0010(3);
(d) Unmarried or pregnant minors who are income eligible to receive TANF and are:
(i) Living in a department approved living arrangement (WAC 388-486-0005 ) and are meeting the school requirements (WAC 388-486-0010 ); or
(ii) Are actively working with a social worker and need support services to remove the barriers that are preventing them from living in a department approved living arrangement and/or meeting the school requirements.
(e) American Indians who receive a TANF cash grant and have identified specific needs due to location or employment.
(2) Why do I receive support services? Although not an entitlement, you may receive support services for the following reasons:
(a) To help you participate in work and WorkFirst activities that lead to independence.
(b) To help you to participate in job search, accept a job, keep working, advance in your job, and/or increase your wages.
(c) You can also get help in paying your child care expenses through the working connections child care assistance program. (Chapter 170-290 WAC describes the rules for this child care assistance program.)
(3) What type of support services may I receive and what limits apply?

There is a limit of three thousand dollars per person per program year (July 1st to June 30th) for WorkFirst support services you may receive. Some types of support services have dollar limit restrictions.

The chart below shows the types of support services that are available for the different activities (as indicated by an "x") and the restrictions that apply.


* Work-related activities include looking for work or participating in workplace activities, such as community jobs or a work experience position.

** Safety-related activities include meeting significant or emergency family safety needs, such as dealing with family violence.

*** Some support services are available if you need them for other required activities in your IRP.

Type of Support Service Restrictions * Work ** Safety *** Other
Reasonable accommodation for employment x
Clothing/uniforms x
Diapers x
Haircut x
Lunch Same rate as established by OFM for state employees x
Personal hygiene x
Professional, trade, association, union and bonds x
Relocation related to employment (can include rent, housing, and deposits) x
Short-term lodging and meals in connection with job interviews/tests Same rate as established by OFM for state employees x
Tools/equipment x
Car repair needed to restore car to operable condition x x
License/fees x x
Mileage reimbursement Same rate as established by OFM for state employees x x
Transportation allotment x x x
Counseling x x x
Educational expenses x x
Medical exams (not covered by medicaid) x x x
Public transportation x x x
Testing-diagnostic x x x
(4) What are the other requirements to receive support services?

Other restrictions on receiving support services are determined by the department or its agents. They will consider whether:

(a) It is within available funds; and
(b) It does not assist, promote, or deter religious activity; and
(c) There is no other way to meet the cost.
(5) What happens to my support services if I do not participate as required?

The department will give you ten days notice, following the rules in WAC 388-310-1600, then discontinue your support services until you participate as required.


Wash. Admin. Code § 388-310-0800
Amended by WSR 14-10-046, filed 4/30/14, effective 6/1/14 Amended by WSR 15-18-024, Filed 8/25/2015, effective 9/25/2015

Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, and 74.08A.250. 13-02-048, § 388-310-0800, filed 12/24/12, effective 2/1/13. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, and 74.08.090. 10-22-061, § 388-310-0800, filed 10/29/10, effective 12/1/10; 09-06-053, § 388-310-0800, filed 2/26/09, effective 4/1/09. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050 and 74.04.055. 08-18-045, § 388-310-0800, filed 8/29/08, effective 10/1/08. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.08A.260, chapter 74.08A RCW. 06-10-035, § 388-310-0800, filed 4/27/06, effective 6/1/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090, 74.04.050, 74.08A.340. 05-02-014, § 388-310-0800, filed 12/27/04, effective 1/27/05. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090, 74.04.050, 74.08A.340, and 2003 c 10 § 207. 03-21-154, § 388-310-0800, filed 10/22/03, effective 10/27/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090, 74.04.050, 78.08A.340, and [WSR] 99-14-043. 02-11-130, § 388-310-0800, filed 5/21/02, effective 7/1/02; 01-17-053, § 388-310-0800, filed 8/13/01, effective 9/1/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090, 74.04.050, and 78.08A.340. 00-13-106, § 388-310-0800, filed 6/21/00, effective 7/1/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090 and 74.04.050. 99-14-043, § 388-310-0800, filed 6/30/99, effective 7/31/99; 97-20-129, § 388-310-0800, filed 10/1/97, effective 11/1/97.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.

State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.