415-06-090 - Records index
415-06-090. Records index
(1) Purpose. This rule is intended to implement RCW 42.17.260(4)(a) and (b), which require state agencies to establish and implement a system of indexing for certain records maintained by state agencies.
(2) Responsibility for department's indexing system. The department's indexing system for records covered under this section is administered by the manager of the files unit. All record indices described in this section shall be located at the department's files unit.
(3) The department shall establish and implement a system of indexing for all records issued before July 1, 1990, for which the department has maintained an index. The department has maintained an index for the following records which have existed before July 1, 1990:
(a) "Final opinions" which include the director's final orders and other final orders in adjudicative proceedings concerning the department;
(b) "Statements and interpretations of law and policy" which include the department's "DRS notices" advising employers of the department's position regarding law and/or policy; and formal and informal opinions by the state attorney general's office, used by the department as the basis for administrative decisions;
(c) "Administrative staff manuals and instructions" which affect members of the public;
(d) "Planning policies and goals";
(e) "Factual reports and studies" by department staff, consultants, other governmental entities, and private organizations;
(f) "Correspondence" by the department in which the department determines or provides an opinion on the rights of state government, the public, subdivisions of state government, or any private party.
(4) The department shall establish and implement a system of indexing for the following records on or after July 1, 1990:
(a) "Final orders" which are issued in an adjudicative proceeding as defined by RCW 34.05.010(1) containing analyses or decisions of substantial importance to the department;
(b) "Declaratory orders" which are issued pursuant to RCW 34.05.240 containing analyses or decisions of substantial importance to the department;
(c) "Interpretive statements" which are a written expression of an opinion by the department, entitled "interpretive statement" by the department's director, or his or her designee, and relating to the meaning of a statute or other provision of law, court decision, or agency order; and
(d) "Policy statements" which are a written description of the department's current policy, entitled "policy statement" by the department's director, or his or her designee, and implementing a statute or other provision of law, or court decision, or agency order.
(5) The system of indexing the records identified in WAC 415-06-090(3) and (4) is as follows:
(a) An index will be organized in WAC 415-06-090(3) and (4).
(b) Staff of the department's legal/legislative affairs unit will select the final orders and declaratory orders to be indexed reviewing all final orders and declaratory orders entered after June 30, 1990, and evaluating the substantial importance of the orders.
(c) Records will be indexed by a phrase describing the record's subject, issue or holding, and by citation of the law involved. Examples of phrases to be used are "service credit," "retirement benefits," "membership," and "contributions."
(6) Availability: The department record index shall be available to all persons in the same manner as public records available for inspection, under chapter 415-06 WAC.
Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050 and 42.17.260(4)(a) and (b). 91-19-061, § 415-06-090, filed 9/16/91, effective 10/17/91; Order 4, § 415-06-090, filed 7/27/77.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.