417-01-155 - Conduct of commission business
417-01-155. Conduct of commission business
(1) Three voting members of the commission shall constitute a quorum for the conduct of business.
(2) The votes of any three of the commissioners shall be required for any official action of the commission: Provided, That the chair shall have the authority on behalf of the commission to execute contracts and leases, and approve expenditures and reimbursements, related to the business of the commission. The chair may, without the prior approval of the commission, authorize expenditures for equipment and supplies not to exceed $15,000. Expenditures made pursuant to this section shall be reported as a separate item on the agenda at the next commission meeting.
(3) The chair shall not have a vote at any meeting of the commission.
(4) Commission meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the Open Public Meetings Act (chapter 42.30 RCW).
(5) The commission shall not adopt any redistricting plan, or partial redistricting plan, except at a public meeting, notice of which has been given in accordance with these rules.
(6) The commission shall not take any action by secret ballot.
(7) Motions shall not require a second in order to be placed before the commission for a vote.
(8) All public meetings of the commission shall be electronically recorded. The minutes and tapes thereof shall be available to the public in accordance with the rules regarding access to public records held by the commission. At all meetings of the commission where public testimony regarding redistricting boundaries is a scheduled agenda item, the commission shall provide for the presence of a court reporter to record such testimony. A typewritten transcript of such testimony shall be prepared as soon as possible after such hearings and shall be made available to the public in accordance with the rules regarding access to public records held by the commission. The transcript of a court reporter prepared pursuant to this section shall become part of the official records of the commission.
(9) Except as provided in this section, the chair shall preside at all meetings. In the event of the chair's absence the commission shall select from among the voting members a temporary chair to preside in the chair's absence. The position of temporary chair shall alternate between a member of the two parties represented on the commission.
Statutory Authority: RCW 44.05.080(2). 11-15-010, § 417-01-155, filed 7/7/11, effective 8/7/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 44.05.080(1). 01-13-123, § 417-01-155, filed 6/20/01, effective 7/9/01; 91-20-006, § 417-01-155, filed 9/19/91, effective 10/20/91.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.