417-02-125 - Requests of public records
417-02-125. Requests of public records
In accordance with chapter 42.56 RCW that agencies provide full public access to public records, prevent unreasonable invasion of privacy, protect public records from damage or disorganization and prevent excessive interference with essential functions of the agency, public records may be inspected or copied, or copies of such records may be obtained by members of the public upon compliance with the following procedure:
(1) A request to inspect or copy public records shall be made in writing or upon a form prescribed herein which shall be available at the commission's office. The written request or form shall be presented to the public records officer or designated assistant during the office hours established in this chapter. The written request or form shall include the following information:
(a) The name of the person requesting the record;
(b) The time and date on which the request was made;
(c) A specific identification or description of each requested record;
(d) If the matter requested is referenced within the current index maintained by the commission, a reference to the requested record as it is described in such current index; and
(e) If the requested matter is not identifiable by reference to the current index, an appropriate description of the record requested.
(2) The public records officer or designated assistant will ascertain whether the information requested is exempt from public inspection and copying as defined in RCW 42.56.210 or other law.
(3) Only after a determination has been made that all or such portion of a public record as is not deleted may be inspected, shall such public record or portion thereof be made available for inspection by a member of the public.
(4) In all cases, it shall be the obligation of the public records officer or designated assistant to:
(a) Locate the specific document(s) requested by the member of the public in the most timely manner possible;
(b) Assist the member of the public in appropriately identifying the public record requested;
(c) Protect and otherwise prevent damage to the public record being inspected and copied;
(d) Prevent the disorganization of file folders or document containers; and
(e) Prevent excessive interference with the other essential functions of the commission.
(5) Only the staff and commissioners may open files to gain access to commission records.
(6) Original copies of public records of the commission may not be taken from the premises of the commission by a member of the public without being accompanied by staff or a commissioner.
(7) Public inspection and copying of commission records shall be done only in such locations as are approved by the public records officer or designated assistant at locations that must provide an opportunity for staff to ensure that no public record of the commission is damaged, destroyed, unreasonably disorganized, or removed from its proper location or order by a member of the public.
(8) Public records of the commission may be copied only on the copying machine of the commission unless the public records officer or designated assistant authorizes other arrangements.
Statutory Authority: RCW 44.05.080(2). 11-15-010, § 417-02-125, filed 7/7/11, effective 8/7/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 44.05.080(1). 01-17-078, § 417-02-125, filed 8/16/01, effective 9/4/01.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.