468-06-090 - Fees
(1) The following copy fees and payment procedures apply to requests to the department under chapter 42.56 RCW and received on or after April 12, 2019.
(2) Pursuant to RCW 42.56.120(2)(b), the department is not calculating all actual costs for copying records because to do so would be unduly burdensome for the following reasons:
(a) The department does not have the resources to conduct a study to determine all its actual copying costs;
(b) To conduct such a study would interfere with other essential agency functions; and
(c) Through the 2017 legislative process, the public and requestors have commented on and been informed of authorized fees and costs, including for electronic records, provided in RCW 42.56.120(2)(b) and (c), (3) and (4).
(3) The department will charge for copies of records pursuant to the default fees in RCW 42.56.120(2)(b) and (c). The department will charge for customized services pursuant to RCW 42.56.120(3). Under RCW 42.56.130, the department may charge other copy fees authorized by statutes outside of chapter 42.56 RCW. The charges for copying methods used by the department are summarized in the fee schedule available on the department's web site at www.wsdot.wa.gov.
(4) Requestors are required to pay for copies in advance of receiving records. Fee waivers are an exception and are available for some small requests under the following conditions:
(a) It is within the discretion of the public records officer to waive copying fees when:
(i) All of the records responsive to an entire request are paper copies only and are twenty-five or fewer pages; or
(ii) All of the records responsive to an entire request are electronic and can be provided in a single email with attachments of a size totaling no more than the equivalent of one hundred printed pages. If that email for any reason is not deliverable, records will be provided through another means of delivery, and the requestor will be charged in accordance with this rule.
(b) Fee waivers are not applicable to records provided in installments.
(5) All required fees must be paid in advance of release of the copies or an installment of copies. The office will notify the requestor of when payment is due.
(6) Payment should be made by check or money order to the Washington state department of transportation.
(7) The department will close a request when a requestor fails by the payment date to pay in the manner prescribed for records or an installment of records.(Amended by WSR 15-24-130, Filed 12/2/2015, effective 1/2/2016 Amended by WSR 19-07-026, Filed 3/12/2019, effective 4/12/2019)
Statutory Authority: Chapters 42.17, 42.56 RCW. 08-16-030, § 468-06-090, filed 7/29/08, effective 8/29/08. Statutory Authority: Chapter 42.17 RCW and RCW 47.01.101. 96-16-004 (Order 163), § 468-06-090, filed 7/24/96, effective 8/24/96. Statutory Authority: 1977 ex.s. c 151. 79-01-033 (DOT Order 10 and Comm. Order 1, Resolution No. 13), § 468-06-090, filed 12/20/78. Formerly WAC 252-03-080.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.