72-171-001 - Purposes
The purposes of this chapter are:
(1) To implement chapter 72.40 RCW in a manner that is compatible with chapters 28A.155 RCW and 392-172A WAC, and in compliance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act, 20 U.S.C. Sec. 1400 et seq.;
(2) To meet the obligations of additional federal and state civil rights laws (e.g., 29 U.S.C. Sec. 794, 42 U.S.C.Sec. 12132, RCW 49.60.030) that apply to students who have a disability regardless of the student's eligibility for special education and related services;
(3) Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the rules for the provision of special education, contained in chapter 392-172A WAC, are incorporated by reference: Provided, That the Washington state school for the blind (WSSB) may undertake the responsibilities of a local educational agency (LEA) in providing a free appropriate public education only to the extent authorized by chapter 72.40 RCW and inclusion as an LEA makes the school eligible for assistance under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act;
(4) This chapter sets forth rules and procedures applicable to the provision of special education and related services for eligible students at the WSSB. It should be read in conjunction with chapter 392-172A WAC. In case of any conflict between specific rules and procedures adopted herein, and the rules and regulations in chapter 392-172A WAC, the specific rules and procedures shall control;
(5) Where the term "school district" is used in this chapter, it shall mean the LEA, local school district, or resident district, where a student would be enrolled and/or attending.(Amended by WSR 16-13-070, Filed 6/13/2016, effective 7/14/2016)
Statutory Authority: RCW 72.40.022. 01-16-022, § 72-171-001, filed 7/20/01, effective 8/20/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 72.40.022 and 20 U.S.C. §§ 1401, 1412-1417. 90-16-008, § 72-171-001, filed 7/19/90, effective 8/19/90.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.