Wis. Admin. Code Department of Transportation § Trans 102.21 - Sponsorship of persons under 18 years of age

Current through March 28, 2022

(1) DEFINITIONS. In this section:
(a) "Adult" means a person who is 18 years of age or older.
(b) "Foster parent" means a person licensed to operate a foster home or treatment foster home under s. 48.62, Stats.
(c) "Guardian" means the person named by the court having the duty and authority of guardianship.
(d) "Minor" means a person less than 18 years of age.
(e) "Parent" means either a biological parent, a husband who has consented to the artificial insemination of his wife under s. 891.40, Stats., or a parent by adoption. If the child is a nonmarital child who is not adopted or whose parents do not subsequently intermarry under s. 767.803, Stats., "parent" includes a person adjudged in a judicial proceeding to be the biological father. "Parent" does not include any person whose parental rights have been terminated.
(f) "Stepparent" means a person who is married to the minor's biological or adoptive parent and is not a biological or adoptive parent of the minor.

Note: The definitions used in pars. (c) and (e) are intended to parallel those in s. 48.02, Stats.

(2) ADULT SPONSORS. The following adults may sponsor a minor's application for Wisconsin operator's license:
(a) The minor's parent, stepparent or guardian.
(b) The minor's spouse.
(c) The minor's grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle or foster parent if the minor does not reside with any of the persons identified in par. (a).
(d) The person with whom a foreign exchange student resides if the foreign exchange student is from outside the United States and is not residing with any of the persons identified in par. (a).
(3) POWERS OF ATTORNEY. An adult holding a valid power of attorney may execute the sponsorship form for a minor on behalf of a sponsor.

Note: The department has a form Durable Power of Attorney, Driver License Sponsorship for Minor that is designed to be used for this purpose, form MV 3627. The form can be obtained from the Division of Motor Vehicles, Bureau of Driver Services, P.O. Box 7920, Madison, WI 53707-7920, telephone (608) 266-2237 or at any motor vehicle services station.

(4) PROOF OF IDENTITY. A sponsor or attorney-in-fact of a sponsor shall provide proof of identity satisfying the requirements of s. Trans 102.15(4) when a department representative acts as the witness to a sponsor's or attorney-in-fact's signature.


Wis. Admin. Code Department of Transportation § Trans 102.21
Cr. Register, November, 1994, No. 467, eff. 12-1-94.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.

State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.