Brett M. Kavanaugh, Associate Justice (2018-present)
- Birth, Residence, and Family
- Brett M. Kavanaugh was born in Washington, D.C., on February 12, 1965. He married Ashley Estes in 2004 and they have two daughters - Margaret and Liza.
- Kavanaugh received a B.A. from Yale College in 1987 and a J.D. from Yale Law School in 1990.
- Government service
- Kavanaugh served as a law clerk for Judge Walter Stapleton of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit from 1990-1991, for Judge Alex Kozinski of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit from 1991-1992, and for Justice Anthony M. Kennedy of the U.S. Supreme Court during the 1993 Term. In 1992-1993, he was an attorney in the Office of the Solicitor General of the United States. From 1994 to 1997 and for a period in 1998, he was Associate Counsel in the Office of Independent Counsel Kenneth W. Starr. From 2001 to 2003, he was Associate Counsel and then Senior Associate Counsel to the President. From 2003 to 2006, he was Assistant to the President and White House Staff Secretary.
- Law Practice
- Kavanaugh was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis in Washington, D.C., from 1997 to 1998 and again from 1999 to 2001.
- Judicial Offices
- Kavanaugh was appointed a Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in 2006. President Donald J. Trump nominated him as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, and he took his seat on October 6, 2018.
Source: U.S. Supreme Court