Anthony M. Kennedy
- Birth, Residence, and Family
- Born July 23, 1936 in Sacramento, California. Married Mary Davis, June 29, 1963; Children: Justin Anthony, Gregory Davis, and Kristin Marie.
- Stanford University, 1954-57; London School of Economics, 1957-58; Stanford University, B.A., 1958; Harvard Law School, LL.B., 1961.
- Law Practice
- Admitted to California bar, 1962; U. S. Tax Court bar, 1971; Associate, Thelen, Marrin, John & Bridges, San Francisco, 1961-63; sole practitioner, Sacramento, 1963-67; partner, Evans, Jackson & Kennedy, Sacramento, 1967-75.
- Law Teaching
- Professor of constitutional law, McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, 1965-1988.
- Judicial Offices
- Nominated by President Ford to U. S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; took oath of office May 30, 1975. Nominated by President Reagan as Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court; took oath of office February 18, 1988.
- Other Offices
- California Army National Guard, 1961; member, the Judicial Conference of the United States Advisory Panel on Financial Disclosure Reports and Judicial Activities, subsequently renamed the Advisory Committee on Codes of Conduct, 1979-87; the Committee on Pacific Territories, 1979-1988, named chairman 1982; board of the Federal Judicial Center, 1987-1988; American Bar Association, Sacramento County Bar Association, State Bar of California, Phi Beta Kappa; board of student advisors. Harvard faculty, 1960-61.
Source: U.S. Supreme Court