BERNE CONVENTION FOR THE PROTECTION OF
LITERARY AND ARTISTIC WORKS (Paris Text 1971)
- (a) The Union shall have an Assembly consisting of those countries of the Union which are bound by Articles 22 to 26.
- (b) The Government of each country shall be represented by one delegate, who may be assisted by alternate delegates, advisors, and experts.
- (c) The expenses of each delegation shall be borne by the Government which has appointed it.
- (a) The Assembly shall:
- (i) deal with all matters concerning the maintenance and development of the Union and the implementation of this Convention;
- (ii) give directions concerning the preparation for conferences of revision to the International Bureau of Intellectual Property (hereinafter designated as "the International Bureau") referred to in the Convention establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization' (hereinafter designated as "the Organization"), due account being taken of any comments made by those countries of the Union which are not bound by Articles 22 to 26;
- (iii)review and approve the reports and activities of the Director General of the Organization concerning the Union, and give him all necessary instructions concerning matters within the competence of the Union;
- (iv) elect the members of the Executive Committee of the Assembly;
- (v) review and approve the reports and activities of its Executive Committee, and give instructions to such Committee;
- (vi) determine the program and adopt the triennial budget of the Union, and approve its final accounts;
- (vii) adopt the financial regulations of the Union;
- (viii)establish such committees of experts and working groups as may be necessary for the work of the Union;
- (ix) determine which countries not members of the Union and which intergovernmental and international non-governmental organizations shall be admitted to its meetings as observers;
- (x) adopt amendments to Articles 22 to 26;
- (xi) take any other appropriate action designed to further the objectives of the Union;
- (xii)exercise such other functions as are appropriate under this Convention;
- (xiii)subject to its acceptance, exercise such rights as are given to it in the Convention establishing the Organization.
- (b) With respect to matters which are of interest also to other Unions administered by the Organization, the Assembly shall make its decisions after having heard the advice of the Coordination Committee of the Organization.
- (a) Each country member of the Assembly shall have one vote.
- (b) One half of the countries members of the Assembly shall constitute a quorum.
- (c) Notwithstanding the provisions of subparagraph (b), if, in any session, the number of countries represented is less than one half but equal to or more than one third of the countries members of the Assembly, the Assembly may make decisions but, with the exception of decisions concerning its own procedure, all such decisions shall take effect only if the following conditions are fulfilled. The International Bureau shall communicate the said decisions to the countries members of the Assembly which were not represented and shall invite them to express in writing their vote or abstention within a period of three months from the date of the communication. If, at the expiration of this period, the number of countries having thus expressed their vote or abstention attains the number of countries which was lacking for attaining the quorum in the session itself, such decisions shall take effect provided that at the same time the required majority still obtains.
- (d) Subject to the provisions of Article 26 (2), the decisions of the Assembly shall require two thirds of the votes cast.
- (e) Abstentions shall not be considered as votes.
- (f) A delegate may represent, and vote in the name of, one country only.
- (g) Countries of the Union not members of the Assembly shall be admitted to its meetings as observers.
- (a) The Assembly shall meet once in every third calendar year in ordinary session upon convocation by the Director General and, in the absence of exceptional circumstances, during the same period and at the same place as the General Assembly of the Organization.
- (b) The Assembly shall meet in extraordinary session upon convocation by the Director General, at the request of the Executive Committee or at the request of one fourth of the countries members of the Assembly.
(5) The Assembly shall adopt its own rules of procedure.