10 U.S. Code § 225 - Acquisition accountability reports on the ballistic missile defense system
(a) Baselines Required.—
(1) In accordance with paragraph (2), the Director of the Missile Defense Agency shall establish and maintain an acquisition baseline for—
(A) each program element of the ballistic missile defense system, as specified in section 223 of this title; and
(2) The Director shall establish an acquisition baseline required by paragraph (1) before the date on which the program element or major subprogram enters—
(b) Elements of Baselines.— Each acquisition baseline required by subsection (a) for a program element or major subprogram shall include the following:
(1) A comprehensive schedule, including—
(2) A detailed technical description of—
(C) how the proposed capability satisfies a capability identified by the commanders of the combatant commands on a prioritized capabilities list;
(D) key knowledge points that must be achieved to permit continuation of the program and to inform production and deployment decisions; and
(3) A cost estimate, including—
(A) a life-cycle cost estimate that separately identifies the costs regarding research and development, procurement, military construction, operations and sustainment, and disposal;
(c) Annual Reports on Acquisition Baselines.—
(1) Not later than February 15 of each year, the Director shall submit to the congressional defense committees a report on the acquisition baselines required by subsection (a).
(A) The first report under paragraph (1) shall set forth each acquisition baseline required by subsection (a) for a program element or major subprogram.
(B) Each subsequent report under paragraph (1) shall include—
(i) any new acquisition baselines required by subsection (a) for a program element or major subprogram; and
(ii) with respect to an acquisition baseline that was previously included in a report under paragraph (1), an identification of any changes or variances made to the elements described in subsection (b) for such acquisition baseline, as compared to—
(d) Exception to Limitation on Revision.— The Director may adjust or revise an acquisition baseline established under this section if the Director submits to the congressional defense committees notification of—
(2) the specific adjustments or revisions made to the acquisition baseline, including to the elements described in subsection (b); and
(e) Operations and Sustainment Cost Estimates.— The Director shall ensure that each life-cycle cost estimate included in an acquisition baseline pursuant to subsection (b)(3)(A) includes—
Source(Added Pub. L. 112–81, div. A, title II, § 231(a)(1),Dec. 31, 2011, 125 Stat. 1337; amended Pub. L. 113–66, div. A, title II, § 231(b),Dec. 26, 2013, 127 Stat. 711.)
2013—Subsec. (e). Pub. L. 113–66added subsec. (e).
Improvement to Operations and Sustainment Cost Estimates
Pub. L. 113–66, div. A, title II, § 231(a),Dec. 26, 2013, 127 Stat. 710, provided that: “In preparing the acquisition accountability reports on the ballistic missile defense system required by section 225 of title 10, United States Code, the Director of the Missile Defense Agency shall improve the quality of cost estimates relating to operations and sustainment that are included in such reports under subsection (b)(3)(A) of such section, including with respect to the confidence levels of such cost estimates.”
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.