10 U.S. Code § 2854a - Conveyance of damaged or deteriorated military family housing; use of proceeds
(a) Authority To Convey.—
(1) The Secretary concerned may convey any family housing facility that, due to damage or deterioration, is in a condition that is uneconomical to repair. Any conveyance of a family housing facility under this section may include a conveyance of the real property associated with the facility conveyed.
(2) The authority of this section does not apply to family housing facilities located at military installations approved for closure under a base closure law or family housing facilities located at an installation outside the United States at which the Secretary of Defense terminates operations.
(3) The aggregate total value of the family housing facilities conveyed by the Department of Defense under the authority in this subsection in any fiscal year may not exceed $5,000,000.
(1) As consideration for the conveyance of a family housing facility under subsection (a), the person to whom the facility is conveyed shall pay the United States an amount equal to the fair market value of the facility conveyed, including any real property conveyed along with the facility.
(c) Notice and Wait Requirements.— The Secretary concerned may not enter into an agreement to convey a family housing facility under this section until—
(1) the Secretary submits to the appropriate committees of Congress, in writing, a justification for the conveyance under the agreement, including—
(2) a period of 21 days has elapsed after the date on which the justification is received by the committees or, if over sooner, a period of 14 days has elapsed after the date on which a copy of the justification is provided in an electronic medium pursuant to section 480 of this title.
(d) Inapplicability of Certain Property Disposal Laws.— The following provisions of law do not apply to the conveyance of a family housing facility under this section:
(1) Subtitle I of title 40 and division C (except sections 3302, 3501 (b), 3509, 3906, 4710, and 4711) of subtitle I of title 41.
(e) Use of Proceeds.—
(1) The proceeds of any conveyance of a family housing facility under this section shall be credited to the appropriate fund established under section 2883 of this title and shall be available—
(A) to construct family housing units to replace the family housing facility conveyed under this section, but only to the extent that the number of units constructed with such proceeds does not exceed the number of units of military family housing of the facility conveyed;
(f) Description of Property.— The exact acreage and legal description of any family housing facility conveyed under this section, including any real property associated with such facility, shall be determined by such means as the Secretary concerned considers satisfactory, including by survey in the case of real property.
Source(Added Pub. L. 104–106, div. B, title XXVIII, § 2818(a)(1),Feb. 10, 1996, 110 Stat. 553; amended Pub. L. 107–107, div. A, title X, § 1048(d)(1),Dec. 28, 2001, 115 Stat. 1227; Pub. L. 107–217, § 3(b)(21),Aug. 21, 2002, 116 Stat. 1297; Pub. L. 108–136, div. A, title X, § 1031(a)(46),Nov. 24, 2003, 117 Stat. 1602; Pub. L. 111–350, § 5(b)(49),Jan. 4, 2011, 124 Stat. 3846.)
References in Text
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, referred to in subsec. (d)(2), is Pub. L. 100–77, July 22, 1987, 101 Stat. 482. Title V of the Act is classified generally to subchapter V (§ 11411 et seq.) of chapter 119 of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 11301 of Title 42 and Tables.
2011—Subsec. (d)(1). Pub. L. 111–350substituted “division C (except sections 3302, 3501 (b), 3509, 3906, 4710, and 4711) of subtitle I of title 41” for “title III of the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949 (41 U.S.C. 251 et seq.)”.
2003—Subsec. (c)(2). Pub. L. 108–136struck out “calendar” after “21” and inserted before period at end “or, if over sooner, a period of 14 days has elapsed after the date on which a copy of the justification is provided in an electronic medium pursuant to section 480 of this title”.
2002—Subsec. (d)(1). Pub. L. 107–217substituted “Subtitle I of title 40 and title III of the” for “The” and “(41 U.S.C. 251 et seq.)” for “(40 U.S.C. 471 et seq.)”.
2001—Subsec. (d)(2). Pub. L. 107–107substituted “McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act” for “Stewart B. McKinney Homeless Assistance Act”.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.