10 U.S. Code § 7902 - National Ocean Research Leadership Council
(a) Council.— There is a National Ocean Research Leadership Council (hereinafter in this chapter referred to as the “Council”).
(b) Membership.— The Council is composed of the following members:
(c) Chairman and Vice Chairman.—
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), the chairman and vice chairman of the Council shall be appointed every two years by a selection committee of the Council composed of, at a minimum, the Secretary of the Navy, the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Director of the National Science Foundation. The term of office of the chairman and vice chairman shall be two years. A person who has previously served as chairman or vice chairman may be reappointed.
(d) Responsibilities.— The Council shall have the following responsibilities:
(1) To prescribe policies and procedures to implement the National Oceanographic Partnership Program.
(2) To review, select, and identify and allocate funds for partnership projects for implementation under the program, based on the following criteria:
(A) Whether the project addresses critical research objectives or operational goals, such as data accessibility and quality assurance, sharing of resources, education, or communication.
(B) Whether the project has, or is designed to have, broad participation within the oceanographic community.
(3) To assess whether there is a need for a facility (or facilities) to provide national centralization of oceanographic data, and to establish such a facility or facilities if determined necessary. In conducting the assessment, the Council shall review, at a minimum, the following:
(e) Annual Report.— Not later than March 1 of each year, the Council shall submit to Congress a report on the National Oceanographic Partnership Program. The report shall contain the following:
(1) A description of activities of the program carried out during the fiscal year before the fiscal year in which the report is prepared, together with a list of the members of the Ocean Research Advisory Panel and any working groups in existence during the fiscal year covered.
(2) A general outline of the activities planned for the program during the fiscal year in which the report is prepared.
(3) A summary of projects continued from the fiscal year before the fiscal year in which the report is prepared and projects expected to be started during the fiscal year in which the report is prepared and during the following fiscal year.
(5) The amounts requested, in the budget submitted to Congress pursuant to section 1105 (a) of title 31 for the fiscal year following the fiscal year in which the report is prepared, for the programs, projects, and activities of the program and the estimated expenditures under such programs, projects, and activities during such following fiscal year.
(f) Partnership Program Office.—
(1) The Council shall establish a partnership program office for the National Oceanographic Partnership Program. The Council shall use competitive procedures in selecting an operator for the partnership program office.
(2) The Council shall assign the following duties to the partnership program office:
(A) To establish and oversee working groups to propose partnership projects to the Council and advise the Council on such projects.
(B) To manage the process for proposing partnership projects to the Council, including managing peer review of such projects.
(C) To submit to the Council an annual report on the status of all partnership projects and activities of the office.
(g) Contract and Grant Authority.— The Council may authorize one or more of the departments or agencies represented on the Council to enter into contracts and make grants, using funds appropriated pursuant to an authorization of appropriations for the National Oceanographic Partnership Program, for the purpose of implementing the program and carrying out the responsibilities of the Council.
(h) Establishment and Forms of Partnership Projects.—
(1) A partnership project under the National Oceanographic Partnership Program may be established by any instrument that the Council considers appropriate, including a memorandum of understanding, a cooperative research and development agreement, and any similar instrument.
Source(Added Pub. L. 104–201, div. A, title II, § 282(a)(1),Sept. 23, 1996, 110 Stat. 2470; amended Pub. L. 105–85, div. A, title II, § 241(a), title X, § 1073(a)(64),Nov. 18, 1997, 111 Stat. 1665, 1903; Pub. L. 106–65, div. A, title X, § 1066(a)(30),Oct. 5, 1999, 113 Stat. 772; Pub. L. 107–296, title XVII, § 1713,Nov. 25, 2002, 116 Stat. 2320.)
2002—Subsec. (b)(13), (14). Pub. L. 107–296added pars. (13) and (14).
1999—Subsec. (e)(5). Pub. L. 106–65struck out “, United States Code,” after “title 31”.
1997—Subsec. (b)(8). Pub. L. 105–85, § 1073(a)(64), inserted “United States” before “Geological Survey”.
Subsec. (b)(11) to (13). Pub. L. 105–85, § 241(a)(1), redesignated pars. (12) and (13) as (11) and (12), respectively, and struck out former par. (11) which read as follows: “The President of the National Academy of Sciences, the President of the National Academy of Engineering, and the President of the Institute of Medicine.”
Subsec. (b)(14) to (17). Pub. L. 105–85, § 241(a)(1)(A), struck out pars. (14) to (17) which read as follows:
“(14) One member appointed by the chairman from among individuals who will represent the views of ocean industries.
“(15) One member appointed by the chairman from among individuals who will represent the views of State governments.
“(16) One member appointed by the chairman from among individuals who will represent the views of academia.
“(17) One member appointed by the chairman from among individuals who will represent such other views as the chairman considers appropriate.”
Subsecs. (d) to (i). Pub. L. 105–85, § 241(a)(2), (3), redesignatedsubsecs. (e) to (i) as (d) to (h), respectively, and struck out former subsec. (d) which read as follows:
“(d) Term of Office.—The term of office of a member of the Council appointed under paragraph (14), (15), (16), or (17) of subsection (b) shall be two years, except that any person appointed to fill a vacancy occurring before the expiration of the term for which his predecessor was appointed shall be appointed for the remainder of such term.”
Effective Date of 2002 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 107–296effective 60 days after Nov. 25, 2002, see section 4 ofPub. L. 107–296, set out as an Effective Date note under section 101 of Title 6, Domestic Security.
Effective Date of 1997 Amendment
Pub. L. 105–85, div. A, title II, § 241(d),Nov. 18, 1997, 111 Stat. 1666, provided that: “The amendments made by subsections (a) and (b) [amending this section, section 7903 of this title, and provisions set out as a note under section 7903 of this title] shall be effective as of September 23, 1996, as if included in section 282 ofPublic Law 104–201.”
Transfer of Functions
For transfer of authorities, functions, personnel, and assets of the Coast Guard, including the authorities and functions of the Secretary of Transportation relating thereto, to the Department of Homeland Security, and for treatment of related references, see sections 468 (b), 551 (d), 552 (d), and 557 of Title 6, Domestic Security, and the Department of Homeland Security Reorganization Plan of November 25, 2002, as modified, set out as a note under section 542 of Title 6.
The Minerals Management Service was abolished and functions divided among the Office of Natural Resources Revenue, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement. See Secretary of the Interior Orders No. 3299 of May 19, 2010, and No. 3302 of June 18, 2010, and chapters II, V, and XII of title 30, Code of Federal Regulations, as revised by final rules of the Department of the Interior at 75 F.R. 61051 and 76 F.R. 64432.
Initial Appointments of Council Members
Pub. L. 104–201, div. A, title II, § 282(b),Sept. 23, 1996, 110 Stat. 2473, directed Secretary of the Navy to make appointments required by subsec. (b) of this section, not later than Dec. 1, 1996, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 105–85, div. A, title II, § 241(c)(1),Nov. 18, 1997, 111 Stat. 1666.
First Annual Report of Council
Pub. L. 104–201, div. A, title II, § 282(c), formerly § 282(d),Sept. 23, 1996, 110 Stat. 2473, as renumbered by Pub. L. 105–85, div. A, title II, § 241(c)(2),Nov. 18, 1997, 111 Stat. 1666, provided that: “The first annual report required by section 7902 (f) of title 10, United States Code, as added by subsection (a)(1), shall be submitted to Congress not later than March 1, 1997. The first report shall include, in addition to the information required by such section, information about the terms of office, procedures, and responsibilities of the Ocean Research Advisory Panel established by the Council.”