14 U.S. Code § 187 - Permanent commissioned teaching staff; composition
The permanent commissioned teaching staff at the Academy shall consist of professors, associate professors, assistant professors and instructors, in such numbers as the needs of the Service require. They shall perform duties as prescribed by the Commandant, and exercise command only in the academic department of the Academy.
Source(Aug. 4, 1949, ch. 393, 63 Stat. 509; Pub. L. 86–474, § 1(10),May 14, 1960, 74 Stat. 145.)
Historical and Revision Notes
Based on title 14, U.S.C., 1946 ed., §§ 15b, 15c (Apr. 16, 1937, ch. 107, §§ 1, 2,50 Stat. 66; May 2, 1942, ch. 273, 56 Stat. 265).
Section 15b of title 14, U.S.C., 1946 ed., has been divided. Part of the provisions of the first sentence is placed in this section, while other provisions are placed in section 188 of this title.
Section 15c of title 14, U.S.C., 1946 ed., has been divided. The last sentence is incorporated in this section, while the other provisions are placed in section 189 of this title.
The composition of the teaching staff at the Academy is changed materially on the recommendation of the Academic Board and the Advisory Committee. The scope of duty of members of the staff is enlarged to include whatever the Commandant prescribes.
Title 14, U.S.C., 1946 ed., § 15b provides for five professors as heads or assistant heads of departments at the Academy. The Academic Board of the Academy and the Advisory Committee, after extensive study have recommended the change, as provided in this section, to three professors and twelve others on the permanent teaching staff, with designations to conform generally with the designations and grades of faculty members at other universities. The librarian is given faculty status because of the role of the library as the center of the modern university; this is in conformity with the practice of other higher educational institutions. It is believed that the increased number of permanent commissioned instructors is justified and desirable in view of the expansion of the Cadet Corps as the full effect of the return to a four-year course is felt. It is probable that, in the next few years, the number of cadets will approximate 450. The average number in the past two years has been about 300. This new set-up for the permanent commissioned teaching staff will permit desirable exchanges of professors with leading universities, and occasional sabbatical leaves in order to better the faculty generally. It is pointed out that this increase in permanent instructors does not increase the authorized number of officers in the Coast Guard, as they are all included in the limitation provided in section 42 of this title. If a teaching position at the Academy is not provided for permanently it will require the assignment of an additional regular officer, so it is apparent that the changes proposed in this section do not increase the size of the Service, or the expense, but represent a long-range plan to better the Academy as a leading educational institution within the present, recognized, standards for a proper university faculty. The last sentence retains the command status of the professors as provided in existing law but enlarges the field in which they may perform duty, in order to make it possible to give them interim assignments other than at the Academy, thus broadening their knowledge of the Service while still advantageously utilizing their services. 81st Congress, House Report No. 557.
1960—Pub. L. 86–474substituted “shall consist of professors, associate professors, assistant professors and instructors, in such numbers as the needs of the Service require” for “shall consist of not more than three professors who may serve as heads of departments, and not more than twelve associate professors, assistant professors, and commissioned instructors, one of whom shall be the librarian”.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.