15 U.S. Code § 1638a - Reset of hybrid adjustable rate mortgages
(a) Hybrid adjustable rate mortgages defined
For purposes of this section, the term “hybrid adjustable rate mortgage” means a consumer credit transaction secured by the consumer’s principal residence with a fixed interest rate for an introductory period that adjusts or resets to a variable interest rate after such period.
(b) Notice of reset and alternatives
During the 1-month period that ends 6 months before the date on which the interest rate in effect during the introductory period of a hybrid adjustable rate mortgage adjusts or resets to a variable interest rate or, in the case of such an adjustment or resetting that occurs within the first 6 months after consummation of such loan, at consummation, the creditor or servicer of such loan shall provide a written notice, separate and distinct from all other correspondence to the consumer, that includes the following:
(1) Any index or formula used in making adjustments to or resetting the interest rate and a source of information about the index or formula.
(2) An explanation of how the new interest rate and payment would be determined, including an explanation of how the index was adjusted, such as by the addition of a margin.
(3) A good faith estimate, based on accepted industry standards, of the creditor or servicer of the amount of the monthly payment that will apply after the date of the adjustment or reset, and the assumptions on which this estimate is based.
(4) A list of alternatives consumers may pursue before the date of adjustment or reset, and descriptions of the actions consumers must take to pursue these alternatives, including—
(5) The names, addresses, telephone numbers, and Internet addresses of counseling agencies or programs reasonably available to the consumer that have been certified or approved and made publicly available by the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development or a State housing finance authority (as defined in section 1441a–1 of title 12).
Source(Pub. L. 90–321, title I, § 128A, as added Pub. L. 111–203, title XIV, § 1418(a),July 21, 2010, 124 Stat. 2153.)
References in Text
This chapter, referred to in subsec. (c), was in the original “this Act” meaning Pub. L. 90–321, May 29, 1968, 82 Stat. 146, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1601 of this title and Tables.
Section effective on the date on which final regulations implementing such section take effect, or on the date that is 18 months after the designated transfer date, if such regulations have not been issued by that date, see section 1400(c) ofPub. L. 111–203, set out as an Effective Date of 2010 Amendment note under section 1601 of this title.