15 U.S. Code § 2801 - Definitions
prev | next
As used in this subchapter:
(A) The term “franchise” means any contract—
under which a refiner or distributor (as the case may be) authorizes or permits a retailer or distributor to use, in connection with the sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel, a trademark which is owned or controlled by such refiner or by a refiner which supplies motor fuel to the distributor which authorizes or permits such use.
(B) The term “franchise” includes—
(i) any contract under which a retailer or distributor (as the case may be) is authorized or permitted to occupy leased marketing premises, which premises are to be employed in connection with the sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel under a trademark which is owned or controlled by such refiner or by a refiner which supplies motor fuel to the distributor which authorizes or permits such occupancy;
(ii) any contract pertaining to the supply of motor fuel which is to be sold, consigned or distributed—
(iii) the unexpired portion of any franchise, as defined by the preceding provisions of this paragraph, which is transferred or assigned as authorized by the provisions of such franchise or by any applicable provision of State law which permits such transfer or assignment without regard to any provision of the franchise.
(2) The term “franchise relationship” means the respective motor fuel marketing or distribution obligations and responsibilities of a franchisor and a franchisee which result from the marketing of motor fuel under a franchise.
(3) The term “franchisor” means a refiner or distributor (as the case may be) who authorizes or permits, under a franchise, a retailer or distributor to use a trademark in connection with the sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel.
(4) The term “franchisee” means a retailer or distributor (as the case may be) who is authorized or permitted, under a franchise, to use a trademark in connection with the sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel.
(5) The term “refiner” means any person engaged in the refining of crude oil to produce motor fuel, and includes any affiliate of such person.
(6) The term “distributor” means any person, including any affiliate of such person, who—
(7) The term “retailer” means any person who purchases motor fuel for sale to the general public for ultimate consumption.
(8) The term “marketing premises” means, in the case of any franchise, premises which, under such franchise, are to be employed by the franchisee in connection with sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel.
(9) The term “leased marketing premises” means marketing premises owned, leased, or in any way controlled by a franchisor and which the franchisee is authorized or permitted, under the franchise, to employ in connection with the sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel.
(10) The term “contract” means any oral or written agreement. For supply purposes, delivery levels during the same month of the previous year shall be prima facie evidence of an agreement to deliver such levels.
(11) The term “trademark” means any trademark, trade name, service mark, or other identifying symbol or name.
(12) The term “motor fuel” means gasoline and diesel fuel of a type distributed for use as a fuel in self-propelled vehicles designed primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
(13) The term “failure” does not include—
(14) The terms “fail to renew” and “nonrenewal” mean, with respect to any franchise relationship, a failure to reinstate, continue, or extend the franchise relationship—
(B) at any time, in the case of the relevant franchise which does not state a term of duration or an expiration date; or
(15) The term “affiliate” means any person who (other than by means of a franchise) controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with, any other person.
(16) The term “relevant geographic market area” includes a State or a standard metropolitan statistical area as periodically established by the Office of Management and Budget.
(18) The term “commerce” means any trade, traffic, transportation, exchange, or other commerce—
Source(Pub. L. 95–297, title I, § 101,June 19, 1978, 92 Stat. 322; Pub. L. 103–371, § 6,Oct. 19, 1994, 108 Stat. 3486; Pub. L. 110–140, title II, § 241(c)(1),Dec. 19, 2007, 121 Stat. 1540.)
2007—Par. (13)(C). Pub. L. 110–140aligned margins.
1994—Par. (13)(C). Pub. L. 103–371added subpar. (C).
Effective Date of 2007 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 110–140effective on the date that is 1 day after Dec. 19, 2007, see section 1601 ofPub. L. 110–140, set out as an Effective Date note under section 1824 of Title 2, The Congress.
Short Title of 1994 Amendment
Pub. L. 103–371, § 1,Oct. 19, 1994, 108 Stat. 3484, provided that: “This Act [amending this section and sections 2802, 2805, and 2806 of this title] may be cited as the ‘Petroleum Marketing Practices Act Amendments of 1994’.”